The Four Podcasts That Have Gotten Me Through College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Podcasts are good for the soul

I often get asked what advice I would offer to incoming college freshmen. Well, here it is: listen to podcasts. As college students, we spend so much time walking around campus. Listening to podcasts is a way to fill up this time with entertaining, meaningful and sometimes educational conversations. I’ve listened to many podcasts during my walks to class, but here are the top four that I consistently gravitate towards. 

1. Drama Queens

This is for sure my all-time favorite podcast, as it centers around one of the best television shows: One Tree Hill. When the pandemic hit back in 2020, I became obsessed with this show, which ran from 2003-2012. I probably watched all nine seasons within a month. So, you can imagine how thrilled I was in 2021 when the three female leads announced they were coming out with a rewatch podcast. In each episode, the hosts, Hilarie Burton, Sophia Bush and Bethany Joy Lenz (who starred as Peyton, Brooke and Haley) recap each episode and give their unfiltered opinions on the crazy storylines. And don’t you worry about these women censoring their opinions just because it’s their own show. They do not hold back when it comes to calling out problematic storylines, because let’s face it, not everything ages well. Perhaps the best part of this podcast is when the three women dish out behind the scenes secrets about filming the show. Needless to say, listening to Hilarie, Sophia and Joy converse each week about One Tree Hill will give you your much-needed daily dose of nostalgia. 

2. Work in Progress with Sophia Bush

Yes, you read that correctly. This is another podcast with Sophia Bush, except this time, it is as a solo host. As you can probably already tell, Sophia is one of my favorite public figures. Not only is she an incredible actress, but she is also a devoted activist and proud businesswoman. In this podcast, Sophia speaks with a wide range of guests, including fellow activists, actors and noteworthy intellectuals. With each guest, Sophia inquires about their personal and professional journeys, and she, along with the listeners, often learn something new along the way.

If you’re wondering why the title of this podcast is “Work in Progress,” one of Sophia’s most notable quotes from being in the public eye the past twenty years is as follows: “You are allowed to be both a masterpiece and a work in progress, simultaneously.” Not only did Sophia name her podcast after this quote, but it also helped create her staple podcast question. At the end of each episode, Sophia asks her guest what they feel is a current work in progress in their life. This is one of my favorite parts of the podcast, because it reminds listeners that everyone is striving to improve something about themselves. Overall, if you want to feel inspired at the end of listening, you should definitely try this podcast.

3. Armchair Expert

Where to begin? This podcast is an absolute emotional rollercoaster. The hosts, Dax Shephard and Monica Padman, take the audience on an incredible ride with each and every episode. With this show, you will find yourself laughing really hard and then shedding a few tears. What I love most about this podcast is that they have found the perfect balance between telling hilarious, ridiculous and sometimes inappropriate stories, while also making space for vulnerable and meaningful conversations. Armchair Expert has interviewed quite the diverse catalog of celebrity guests, so you are almost guaranteed to find an episode that you will enjoy. If you want to hear Dax and Monica interview your favorite celebs and inevitably learn something new about them, definitely check this podcast out!

4. Archetypes

In 2022, Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex (formerly known as Meghan Markle), released this highly-anticipated podcast. In each episode, Meghan invites a guest on to discuss and deconstruct a label that has historically limited women. For example, in the pilot episode, Meghan had tennis legend Serena Williams on to talk about how the word “ambition” carries a negative connotation with women as opposed to a positive connotation with men. This podcast will teach you about how archetypes like these have been created and how they have affected women. It may sound pessimistic to talk in-depth about how these negative labels have held women back, but don’t worry! The stories told on Archetypes are all about how women can break down these archetypes and reach success. This is a must-listen if you are in need of some female empowerment and inspiration. 

Honorable Mention: Twists, Turns and One-Liners

As you can tell by now, I am a huge fan of podcasts. So, it may come as no shock to you all that I decided to start my own! Recently, my friend and I decided to try our hand at podcasting. The premise of our podcast is to pick a movie that at least one of us hasn’t seen, watch it and then give our thoughts. Although our intended goal is to discuss the chosen film, spontaneous conversation tends to spark and we often delve into other topics. So, if you’re a fellow movie lover or if you just enjoy conversation, I encourage you to give our podcast a try!

Throughout our lives, we spend so much time doing mundane tasks. Why not make these tasks interesting by learning something as you do them? If you want to spice up your life, putting in your headphones and tuning into a podcast of your choice is the way to go!

Carla Wolff

Wisconsin '23

Carla is a senior at UW-Madison where she studies Social Work. In her free time, she enjoys podcasts, movies, pop culture, and baking!