This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I spent my spring break doing nothing, and it was exactly what I needed. 

Spring break looks different for everyone. Some people travel, some go back home, some stay in their college town. This year, I wasn’t sure if going home would be an option for me because I had to work. Luckily, my schedule worked out so that I only had to work a few days at the beginning of break and I was able to go home for the last half. My time at home was spent doing nothing. But as it turns out, that was exactly what I needed. 

We’re exactly halfway through the spring semester, which is usually the point where students become the most stressed and burnt out. I was really feeling this too, seeing as the week before break I was so busy with tests and papers that I needed the week off. Even though I had to work, I did enjoy a few days off at home, where I was able to see my family and my friends from high school. But when I wasn’t with friends or family, I was in bed or on the couch. I spent my time doing nothing, even convincing my mom to work from home one day so we could continue our movie marathon. Because I was so accustomed to traveling during break, I used to think doing things like this were boring, but over this spring break, I realized that the three days I spent with no obligations or tasks were just what I needed at this point in my life. Time off allowed my body and mind to rest, and also gave me uninterrupted time with my family, allowing us to spend time together without the stress of someone needing to make a long drive back home. 

This break also gave me time to do the things I have been wanting to do, but haven’t been able to during the semester. I read for fun and finished the book I started at the beginning of the semester, but was neglecting as I read for class. I watched movies that I had been trying to watch for weeks but never got around to because the weekends always end up being too busy. Reading books and watching movies were refreshing and essential for me over break. 

I’m so used to feeling like I could be doing something better with my time, so it was a nice change to not feel that way. I really think a break like this is necessary for everyone, especially college students. Your body and mind need rest and it is crucial for our ability to function. I know this is true because I returned from break feeling motivated and focused, which I wasn’t feeling before. Give yourself time to relax, however that may look for you. I’m certainly glad I spent my break doing nothing. 

Priyal Desai

Wisconsin '25

I am a student at UW Madison studying psychology and political science, hoping to pursue a career in law! I love to meet new people and explore new things!!