Struggles of Using Campus Wi-Fi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The idea of campus Wi-Fi is downright magical. Getting on campus and finding out that Wi-Fi is free and basically everywhere was practically culture shock. However, the reality is a little different from the fantasy. Don’t get me wrong, free Wi-Fi is great; however, there are more than a few reasons campus Wi-Fi isn’t as amazing as we’d like to think.

1. Having Wi-Fi that’s never strong enough.

“I like my Wi-Fi the way I like my Dalmatians: spotty,” said no one ever.

1. Needing to buy an Ethernet cable and router “just in case.”

I know some college students have a disposable income, but that’s just ridiculous. Who can afford to buy all of those tech supplies?

1. Playing a game of daredevil when you have an assignment due.

Your English assignment is due at 11:59 p.m. You haven’t submitted it yet, and the Wi-Fi cuts out at 11:45 p.m.

1. Having to find study spaces based on Wi-Fi reception.

The café on the other side of campus may have crappy and expensive food but at least it has great Wi-Fi.

1. Knowing that your money is going towards Wi-Fi that’s only kind of reliable.

I’m paying thousands of dollars each year for this?

1. Only having one Ethernet outlet per dorm room.

Sharing is caring; but right now, I do not care one bit.

1. Being practically forced to share your router password with everyone when the Wi-Fi cuts out.

Just because I can be the superhero of the dorm for the night doesn’t mean that I want to be.

Campus Wi-Fi is an absolute pain in the butt, but you’ll miss it eventually. Free Wi-Fi will sound like a blessing once you start getting monthly bills for it. So, appreciate it while it lasts (no matter how poor it may be).

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!