The Struggles of Picking a Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Well, it’s October… and you know what that means: Halloween. The excitement for the annual celebration and what will probably be a crazy weekend this year, has already commenced. But for girls, the real hype is about what costume they will be wearing. For boys it may seem simple but us ladies know that there is strategic thought that goes into picking an outfit to wear for Halloween (or multiple for Halloweek!). The struggle is real.

Do I want to be funny?

Get ready for hilarious photos to last a lifetime and great conversation. Just make sure it’s actually funny… or it could backfire.

Do I want to be a celebrity?

The great thing about picking a celebrity is that it could go many different ways. You can be sexy, funny or just straight up glamorous. So many options!

Do I want to be slutty?

“In the real world, Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it.” This Mean Girls quote speaks the truth (as long as you’re comfortable with it). Just keep in mind that it will probably be forty degrees out.

Do I want to be scary?

People tend to forget that Halloween is actually about remembering the dead. Instead, we end up dressing up as bunnies or sexy kittens. While that’s cute and all – why not throw it back to old school Halloween and actually dress up as something scary?

Do I even want to dress up this year?

Sometimes we feel lazy and don’t feel like dressing up for the twentieth time but keep in mind that you will appreciate these memories! No need to be a black cat for the fifth time. Get your friends together, come up with ideas, and get ready for an awesome Halloween!

Every girl knows that picking a Halloween costume is not easy. Thinking of what to wear is hard enough… and actually getting ready is a whole different story. The struggle is definitely real, but worth it! Have a great, fun filled (and costume-filled) Halloween!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!