Spring Break Must-Haves: Staycation Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s finally spring break and you can’t wait to head home for much needed sleeping in, home-cooked meals, family and pet time, and most of all no school. Just make sure you pack everything you will really need for your staycation in your rush to get home. Here’s a list of the things you might want to make sure are in your duffel.

1.     Chargers

Although break might be a good time to put away the technology so you can distance yourself from the eye-straining and stressful devices you use every day at school, as well as avoid the jealous ping of seeing other people’s Florida pictures, you may want to catch up with your friends or the latest Netflix show.

2.     Pajamas

I don’t know about you, but I almost always forget to pack pajamas. Whether it’s just an old t-shirt and shorts or some sweats, you’ll want to have some for lounging around at home for those days when you stay curled up with Netflix or a good book.           

3.     Swimsuit

Even though you’re not going to the beach, the weather may be nice enough for you to just lounge outside soaking up the sun, or you might get the chance to head to a pool or water park nearby. Or, if you want to get creative, you could pretend your bathtub is a hot tub or the ocean and maybe try scuba diving.           

4.     Going Out Apparel

Pack at least one outfit for going out on the town because you might want to meet up with your girls or just go dancing. If not, dressing up is always fun, even if you’re just going to dinner with the parents. You never know who you’ll run into.

5.     Sunglasses

Who said sunglasses were just for the beach? When you go for a drive or run to the grocery store, you can do it in style. Also, you can pull out the lounge chairs or beach towels and tan in your backyard or even in the driveway. Sun out, shades out.        

6.     Camera

If you get creative, any moment can be picture worthy. You could try finding new, undiscovered places in your hometown and take some cool photos. Bringing a camera home might be a fun way to brush up on your photography skills, or even work on your selfie faces.     

7.     Cash

Although your parents might be paying for your groceries and room and board now that you’re home, you never know when you might want to hit up the town with friends and splurge on some new things, or order a late night pizza.

8.     Good book (or two)

Traveling home is often a long car, bus, or plane ride, so make sure to find a book, or a few. It’s also a good idea to have a few to read when you can relax at home and actually read for pleasure for once. Maybe catch up on a series you started a while ago, or rereadyour favorites. Whatever it is, just be glad it’s not a course reader or economics textbook.

Although you aren’t beach bound, just having the chance to relax and destress at home is a blessing. Make sure to soak it all up and relax as much as you can on your staycation, and don’t fret over not being in Florida – there’s always next year!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!