This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Creating a budget while at school can become routine, but what happens when spring break hits and you have nothing to do? It may be hard to find things to do in your budget. If you have realized that spring break is only a few days away and you are running low on cash, here are some ways to have a fun break without the stress of spending too much money.

Take a Road Trip with Friends.

Although your home or camp friends may not all have the same spring break, having one or two friends travel around with you for a full day or night can be a fun experience. Traveling a few hours away from home, getting a change of scenery, and catching up with your friends can be a cheap way to make the most of the short amount of time you have at home.

Explore Your Town or a Nearby City.

You may think you have been everywhere in your town, but that may not be the case. If you take a few friends and drive aimlessly throughout your town, you may find a food place that you have never eaten at or a scenic park that you have never seen before. Whether you live in New York, Florida, Illinois, or Wisconsin, there is always also an opportunity to explore a nearby city without having to shop or eat at expensive restaurants. Sightseeing can be the way to go. As long as you are with friends, the experience will be worth while.

Have a Wine Night.

There is no better girl’s night than wine night. Sitting with your friends, gossiping about girls from high school, catching up on your friends’ lives in college, and drinking a glass of wine can be an easy way to bond with your friends and save money. Sometimes the best nights are when you stay in and get drunk with your girls.

Host a Slumber Party.

Spending a night with friends without sleep has the potential for endless possibilities. Gossiping, playing board games, watching movies, baking desserts, and then cooking breakfast in the morning can be the cheapest, yet most exciting, activities to do with friends. There is no end to the list of things to do during a sleepover.

Binge Watch for a Day.

Spring break is not a break unless you find the time to hibernate in your room for a day and watch your favorite Netflix show. Vacation must contain catching up with your friends and family, but spending a full day to recline and relax with no interruptions can be ideal.

Hopefully your spring break planning has improved with some of these ideas in mind. Have a happy, and inexpensive, spring break! 

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!