Songs We’re Sick of Hearing on the Radio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We all know listening to the radio is risky–they play the same songs over and over again!  So when that one song you can’t stand comes on, you change the station only to find the same song is playing again or worse, another terrible song is on. Don’t get me wrong, I like listening to the radio when there’s good music out and to change up my usual driving playlist. But when the the same songs are played continuously!?! Radio stations, take the hint that we’re sick of it, and we’re especially sick of these five songs:

Stiches by Shawn Mendes

Alright, I know Shawn Mendes is a newer artist so I’ll give him some credit for making it big from this one song. It’s pretty catchy too, but having heard it on EVERY station every 30 minutes I can’t take it anymore. I think I probably know all of the lyrics by now which kind of makes me cringe.

Hello by Adele

I’m totally in love with this song and Adele, but I’m just tired of hearing it. I’ll be jamming in my car to some Fetty Wap when ‘Hello’ comes on. Of course I’m going to blast the volume so I can sing as loud as I can and act as if my life is more dramatic than it is (I love doing this when it’s crappy outside), but after I feel so down in the dumps. I’m winded and sad that I just turn the radio off after it’s done playing. Obviously I have a love-hate relationship with this song.

Can’t Feel My Face by The Weeknd

I don’t really know where The Weeknd went wrong with this song because all of his other music is fantastic. This one is a little different but in my ears, not a good different. I’m just not a fan of this one at all – it’s too funky for me.

Roses by The Chainsmokers

Not to brag or anything, but I knew this song in the summer and I loved it. I still do! The radio just ruined it completely for me because they give it so much air time. This song still gets me going and hyped up, but I can only listen to it so much when they play it on the radio. This is another song that makes me so happy yet at the same time makes me want to change the station (most of the time I don’t change it though).

On My Mind by Ellie Goulding

Super catchy and upbeat yet super repetitive. I just can’t do songs that have repetitive lyrics, like c’mon that’s the best you can do? It’s like you get sick of hearing the lyrics more than hearing the song as a whole. She literally says “why I got you on my mind” 25 times throughout the song…girl!

Even though we all have those songs that we’re just ‘so over’, we’ll look back on our college years and reminisce when we hear those songs that got just a little too much airtime.  

Food lover - dance enthusiast - professional napper.