This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In a time of protests and a pandemic the words “white supremacy” have poured in with great force and power. The two words are being plastered across CNN and Fox News and are even being brought up in presidential debates, along with the Amy Coney Barrett hearing. White supremacy is the very belief that white people constitute a superior race and should therefore dominate society. The reality of this definition is nothing new, however, the urge to condemn and end is pressing with the political climate. Donald Trump could not condemn this belief because he himself is a white supremacist. The man that is supposed to protect all under liberty and justice was unable to denounce white people being superior. The America we are living in now is the America we have always been living in, all of it just caught up.

donald trump speaking at a rally
Photo by Gage Skidmore from Flickr
A nation built on slavery and slaughter. The enslavement of thousands of African Americans, counting them as ⅔ of a person, stripping away basic rights and liberties that shouldn’t have to be given. Not only is it an individualistic fault, but a systemic fault. The system and people that are supposed to protect and defend all of its citizens abuses and incarcerates. Our justice system is our greatest conveyor and condemner of white supremacy. In light of recent events and the power of the BLM movement, it is clear that it is not only a political issue, but a matter of humanity. If we continue to live by the broken system without trying to change it, we aren’t as progressive as we make ourselves out to be. 

person holding a sign that says \"racism is the biggest pandemic\"
Photo by Marco Allasio from Pexels

For years, groups like the Klu Klux Klan have carried out hateful and violent demonstrations against African Americans. These groups not only want to restore white supremacy, but continue it. You see peaceful protestors asking people to take another look at the system that has greatly oppressed them for years getting screamed at and taken down by police and supremacists. By not understanding or taking the time to learn how our system is racist, it guarantees it continues. Our generation has amplified the BLM movement into one of the most powerful movements of the century with an unbelievable push for reform. It is not impossible to change the system, but there are thick walls to break through to achieve equality. It starts with acknowledging one’s privilege and using it to stand with the communities of the oppressed. It’s about calling reform to your local governments and making sure to exercise all of your first amendment rights: go speak, go peacefully protest and most importantly, go vote. Calling upon the ones in power and who hold the power to change the very system they succeeded in. Reestablish the phrase liberty and justice for ALL.

Photo by James Eades on Unsplash
If you are white like myself, recognize how you will never be oppressed by the justice system, how a cop will not look at you sideways and how you will always be given a fair trial in court. The system we live in was built so we could succeed, to keep the idea of white supremacy. This is not about you or me, it’s about we. What is happening in America is about the oppressed communities, so recognize your white privilege and condemn it. Stand with and keep calling for reform. Our system is broken, the time of change is now. Make America put its money where its mouth is: equal protection under equal law, fair and just trial, liberty and justice for all and most importantly, we the PEOPLE.

Justice for Breonna Taylor sign
Photo by Maria Oswalt from Unsplash

Kiley Cryer

Wisconsin '24

Hey y'all! I'm currently a freshman at UW Madison studying Political Science/International Studies.I absolutely love the outdoors and you can pretty much find me doing something out there most days of the week.I'm also a huge yogi so if you want to do yoga together let me know!
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!