Samantha Overgaard, Professional Hand Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How did you get into hand modeling?

My mom always wanted me to be a hand model. I don’t know why exactly or how she got the idea but she always thought I had beautiful hands. It isn’t something you normally think of, but she had this idea that I had the perfect hands for modeling and I guess she was right.

What makes a hand worthy of modeling?

That is such a good question. It’s funny how perfect your hands have to be. I would always get manicures to make sure my hands looked nice. I have a couple scars on my hands that were always a problem.

What sort of work have you done? What was your favorite? Least Favorite?

The basics. Jewelry, food, computers. Computers aren’t fun because they are so basic but jewelry is the best because they will put a ring on you and tell you how much it is worth, which is normally more money than I ever dreamed of.

What’s your dream hand modeling job?

I would love mode for Essie or OPI. It sounds dumb because it is just nail polish but I own so much nail polish and I think it would be fun. I would also hope to get some for free.

What’s something about hand modeling that people wouldn’t know?

People associate hand modeling with the guy from Zoolander. You don’t have to keep your hands in a glass case, but I do wear gloves a lot. I can’t do dishes without them. But it really is just about having nice hands. You either have them or you don’t.

Any good tips how to keep hands looking nice?

Moisturize. It’s true for anything. I put a lot of lotion and love into my hands. I never did this but NEVER BITE YOUR NAILS! Why? Why would anyone ever do that!?! I cannot imagine, because that it the worst thing you could ever do. Hands are something you use everyday, you use them to meet people, to say hello, to show excitement; why wouldn’t want you them to look beautiful?

Katie is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications.