This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Last year I wrote a list of 11 travel goals. By the end of this year I will have accomplished all of them. 

At the end of last year I wrote an article about where I hoped to travel to in 2023. I made this bucket list mostly realistic, but I allowed for some “reach” options that I might not accomplish. Though it is not currently completely finished, by the end of the year I will have officially finished it! The fact that I actually did all of this is surreal for me, so let’s revisit how and when I saw everything. And, of course, what is on my travel bucket list for next year.

1. The first check mark on my list was Slovakia. I crossed off Slovakia by visiting Bratislava for a day with my best friend Sarah when we did a 10 day trip around Europe — finally accomplishing something every true Czech citizen would do. 

2. Second was Austria, specifically Vienna. The trip Sarah and I did also crossed off Vienna.

3. A new Czech City was third on my list. It was something I thought would be easy, yet somehow, it ended up being almost overlooked. I was so busy going all around over the summer and spending time with family that I ended up almost missing it. But, my dad and I ended up visiting Pelhrimov on the way to my uncle’s house. We ate some lunch, climbed the tower, and did a little walk around the city, allowing me to check it off my list. 

4. Slovenia was crossed off with that same trip with Sarah. 

5. I also crossed two new continents off this year: Australia with my study abroad experience and unexpectedly Asia, when I had a 12 hour layover in Singapore. Super super cool!

6. I got to visit three Australian states while abroad! I flew into Sydney, so I crossed off New South Whales right away. I studied abroad in Queensland, so that was also an easy tick off. And my friends and I did a weekend trip to Melbourne, so Victoria was crossed off as well. 

7. Three places in Queensland were also on the list! Thankfully I wanted to get to know the area around Brisbane super well, and somehow ended up on a road trip up the Australian east coast. I crossed off so many places in Queensland it’s hard to count! But for some quick recommendations, the Great Barrier Reef, Capricorn Coast, Burleigh and Sunshine Coast are some of my favorites. 

8. I love Wisconsin, obviously, and wanted (and still want) to see more of the state! Sadly, as of right now I have not been outside of Madison (unless we are counting a pumpkin patch). But thankfully… there is a thanksgiving trip to visit my friend Paige’s hometown Chippewa Falls coming up, and I could not be more excited to see the small town — and experience the true Wisconsin small town life. 

9. London or Amsterdam was a goal of mine (back when I thought I wanted to possibly live in one of those places). I got to visit London when I saw my friend Elodie who I met back in Australia over the summer (she’s from the U.K.). 

10. I had a goal of at least five new countries. Counting up the countries I have gotten to visit, I have seen seven new countries this year which is actually mind-blowing.

11. Lastly, I wanted to see an old or new U.S. city. I visited one of my friends in San Luis Obispo back in January, and there is hopefully a day in Chicago coming up. 

I realized I had basically completed or would complete my travel bucket list back in August. And it was surreal. I love to travel, spend all my money on it, etc, so getting to see my travel goals completed in real time, insane. 

For the first question I wanted to answer: how did I do it? Budget travel. I have gotten to see so many cool places this year, and a lot of it is because I did it so, so cheaply. We’re talking about night buses, plain pasta for dinner from the hostel, walking instead of public transport. The list goes on and on. I worked last semester and in high school, and am now working a lot to try to save money for my 2024 travel plans. But with a budget, anything is possible. 

And for the second question: what’s on the list for 2024? 2024 travel is so up in the air for me right now that fully anything and everything would be possible. 

• Explore more of Wisconsin (its cheesy, but I get just as excited about these small towns as Italy). 
  • Spend time in the Czech Republic (finally go to Liberec). The upcoming summer may be my last summer in Europe, so I want to spend some time at home. 
  • A reach goal: 10 new countries (though I am not sure that will be possible, but I am hoping for at least five). Seeing every country in the world is something I am still working on… slowly… but surely!
  • Explore more of Asia — I got obsessed with my 12 hours in Singapore
  • Instead of specific places, I just want to have more experiences. I had so many cool experiences while in Australia, that I want to continue having those. 

Looking back at the year, I am so proud of myself for seeing so much and truly working on making my travel dreams come true day by day. I don’t have set travel goals for the upcoming year, but I am positive some will appear. 

Andrea Brehovska

Wisconsin '25

Hey! I am a psychology major with a digital studies and textile and designs certificate at the University of Wisconsin! I am originally from Prague, Czech Republic, but I grew up in the Bay Area, California! I love to travel, explore, and fashion. And my favorite colors are yellow and red!