This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

You’re not going to want to miss this 

I often lay in bed at night, looking for something to watch. The other night, I knew I wanted to start Luckiest Girl Alive. My friends had watched the film, and some were dying to watch it. I finally took the time to watch it, and my expectations were not disappointed. Luckiest Girl Alive shares the story of Ani, who leads a picture-perfect life. Ani has the perfect job and fiancé, and is where she needs to be for her life to continue. We learn throughout the movie that Ani’s past haunts her. The entire film bounces back and forth between young Ani, who went by Tiffani, and current Ani.

Young Ani went to an elite private boarding school where she was the new, quiet girl to whom no one paid much attention. One night, Ani and her friends sneak off-campus to go to a boy’s party, where everything goes wrong. Ani ends up being sexually assaulted by not one, not two, but three different boys in one night. And this is only the beginning of Ani’s traumatizing past. The worst part about the situation was that no one treated Ani like a victim. She was the one getting hate. People were calling her obscenities while the boys involved took no blame. These boys have been known for horrible things in the past, and people who have been victims before were upset with the fact that Ani was letting everything slide.

Trigger warning. It gets worse. One of the boys’ past victims ends up causing a school shooting. One of Ani’s assaulters was killed in the crossfire, and another was paralyzed and in a wheelchair. Unsurprisingly, people think Ani had something to do with the shooting as she had a vendetta against these boys.

Years later, Dean, the boy paralyzed from the shooting, is capitalizing on his role as a school shooting survivor. He goes on multiple press tours, writes a book, and has an incredibly large fan base. Ani, however, continues to live with her past and has not been given the opportunity to clear her name. Eventually, a director approaches Ani, who is making a documentary about the shooting, and gives her the chance to clear her name.

While extremely heavy, this movie has a great ending that emphasizes the justice victims of an assault should be given. This movie’s message is all too real in our society right now, and it sheds light on such an important issue. Not to mention, with a top-notch cast including Mila Kunis and Connie Britton, the performances given are impeccable. If you are looking for a movie that will make you sad, angry and happy, this is a must-watch for you but prepared to be taken on a rollercoaster of emotions. 

Hi, I'm Rebecca, a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying strategic communications and pursuing a certificate in digital studies. I am excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and share my writing with everyone!