This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity knows the power of a hashtag!  Meet Haley Winckler, a University of Wisconsin-Madison student with a bright future in media whose work behind the camera is being published all over campus. 

Hometown?

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Year and major?

I’m a sophomore studying Journalism with certificates in German and Digital Studies.  

What are you involved with on campus? 

I am a marketing intern for the Center for Leadership and Involvement (on the third floor of the Red Gym), a beat photographer for The Badger Herald, staff photographer for the Journal of Undergraduate Science and Technology, and I am involved with Optima Dance.  I do freelance photography work on the side. 

Can you tell me more about your internship with the Center for Leadership and Involvement? 

I’m on a team of five interns and we each have our own role on the team. My role is social media. I manage the CfLI Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts and plan campaigns across our various platforms.  I began “#MemberMonday,”, where each week we feature different CfLI student staff members on Facebook and Instagram. (@UWCfLI)  

Where has your photography been published? 

Here in Madison, I’ve done photo essays for the Badger Herald, The Dish (UW-Madison’s student food and dining magazine), and the Journal of Undergraduate Science and Technology.  In my hometown, I’ve photographed for publications for my church and the local school district. 

Can you describe what photojournalism is?

Honestly, I’m still learning! Photojournalism is about telling a story through images and capturing raw moments as they happen. 

What are your tips for getting your Instagram account on fleek? 

My favorite app for editing and adding filters is VSCO.  Create a mix of the content that you post, with a balance of pictures of people and pictures not of people.  And you’ll always get more likes with a funny caption! 

How can I become a better photographer? 

Just keep practicing. Keep shooting anything and everything. Just never stop! Play around with angles and lighting to figure out what works and what you like.  When you are teaching yourself, I found that photography is all about trial and error. 

What are your goals for the future?

After graduation, I want to continue doing photography in some way.  A dream of mine is to live in Washington D.C. and work as a reporter or photojournalist, capturing events in our government. 

Check out Haley’s photography here:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/haleywinckler/

Badger Herald: https://badgerherald.com/author/hwinckler/

Kristin is a student at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a degree in Marketing and Operations and Technology Management. Her favorite things in the whole world are vanilla lattes, John Mayer's voice, and her beagle mix, Olive. When she's not slaving over an accounting textbook, Kristin enjoys catching up on fashion and beauty trends, practicing yoga, and cheering on the Badgers.