This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Her Campus Wisconsin invited a panel of four professional women from Madison to speak at  our Hot Cocoa Conference on Dec. 2. All proceeds from ticket sales were donated to Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS), an inspiring organization that works keep domestic abuse survivors and their families safe. They also look to empower survivors of domestic abuse and to change attitudes that contribute to violence. We are delighted to make a contribution to such an outstanding organization.

Located in Dane County, DAIS believes in creating a world in which violence does not exist. This organization wants to facilitate safer environments for children, and their main goal is to reach out to those who are affected by violence and to provide them with any help they may need. DAIS offers a variety of services, including a 24-hour helpline, programs for children, legal help, emergency planning services and shelter.

The feelings of safety and security should be available to anyone that seeks it, although it is not always the case; DAIS, on the other hand, makes this goal a reality. DAIS believes in mutual respect, openness, collaboration and shared responsibility. That said, their goal is to create a nonviolent environment for individuals seeking peace and safety, and they lead by example: DAIS offers a safe haven for individuals who most desperately need it. It is the only organization to offer a domestic violence shelter in all of Dane County.

According to Shannon Barry, executive director at DAIS, one in four women will be the victim of sexual abuse from a partner at some point in their life. The issue is prevalent, and everyone is touched by the issue in some way. Last year alone, DAIS received 17,000 calls; this year, they’re expecting more than 19,000 calls.

DAIS provides significant help for any individuals affected by domestic abuse — it helps countless individuals, families and children get the fresh start they need while providing a safe and peaceful environment. Don’t hesitate, reach out to DAIS today to learn about how you, too, can become a part of this empowerment cycle.