burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Noteworthy and Influential Looks of New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In the words of style-icon Olivia Palermo, “Runway fashion gives us inspiration for what’s new and possible when it comes to creating our own individual styles.” NYFW is one of the most anticipated times of the year for fashion-girls around the world. Falling on September 4th through September 11th, New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2015 might have only lasted eight days, but the fashion world can completely change in that short amount of time. The week showcased innumerable, incredibly talented international designers. Didn’t get a chance to catch the highlights? We’ve summarized the most noteworthy and influential looks of NYFW for your reading and fashion-loving pleasure.

Utilitarian femininity. The play of feminine, yet utilitarian silhouettes covered the runways of New York Fashion Week.  Beautifully constructed jackets, parkas, and trenches provided a militaristic feel, while boxy silhouettes created structure and accentuated a uniquely utopian mood exuded by the garments. Paired with beaded and bedazzled tops in luxe fabrics, these ensembles worked to provide the ultimate juxtaposition of utilitarian femininity. BCBGMAXAZRIA, Marc Jacobs, Ralph Lauren, and Proenza Schouler each executed this trend with immense taste and unique points of view. 

BCBG presented quilted jackets in soft hues counterbalanced with silk drape dresses of the same tones. Boxy silhouettes in the form of shift dresses and drop-waist silk pieces walked the runway. Ralph Lauren’s “glam safari” looks paired structured military-esque parkas and tops in olive tones with sweeping chiffon skirts. Lauren included many intricately jeweled and beaded necklines.  Marc Jacobs featured XL military jackets with large silk pockets which also translated to the show’s silk mini dresses. While substantially less traditionally feminine, Proenza Schouler also incorporated heavy leather, color-blocked trenches with knee-length, A-line skirts.Muted palettes with bold accents. Perhaps similar in concept to utilitarian femininity, muted palettes dramatized with pops of vibrant color were a major runway hit. Most notably executed by Ralph Lauren, the designer’s collection aesthetic focused on a palette of olive green and tan “safari tones” with accents of yellow, orange, magenta, and purple. Designers such as Calvin Klein and Zac Posen also took on the trend by incorporating warm-toned pops of oranges and reds in their collections amidst palettes of blacks, whites, and silvers.

Statement layers. It’s all in the details. Many looks found on the runway included unique pieces created through the process of utilizing one-of-a-kind textiles, patterns, cuts, and proportions. These statements may be paired with other garments to create a layered look, or with basics in order to dramatize the selected piece. Calvin Klein played with this concept in his presentation of long and lean silhouettes. His elongated laser-cut red leather coat was phenomenal, and the designer made a major fashion statement when he paired a racerback dress over a longer skirt. Other designers such as Altuzarra and Rodarte experimented with form and offered unique perspectives to such statement pieces with laser cut leather cage skirts, mesh tops, and more.

For the love of texture. The use of eye-catching and characteristic textures was unparalleled in countless designer shows. Mesh, lace, sheer fabrics, intricate beading, fringe, laser cut detailing, and handmade woven textiles were exemplified in shows by designers such as Rodarte, alice + olivia, Delpozo, Falguni and Shane Peacock, and Reed Krakoff. The implementation of such textures was able to give traditional silhouettes amazing depth and transformed what would be simple pieces into stunning garments.

Inspired by the sea, Rodarte nailed this trend in pretty much every piece of the show, by utilizing sheer and opaque fabrics layered with lace, mesh, and laser cut details Falguni and Shane Peacock dropped jaws with their stunningly detailed looks. Delpozo examined the concept behind techno versus natural by playing with various fabrics such as vinyl and silks together. Here, the designer demonstrates the use of sheer fabrics with silvered accents. . Alice + olivia proved that sequins and sparkle never quite go out of style with their sequined jackets and immensely detailed clutches paired with sheer and lace flowing skirts. 

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com