Night Games are the Best, Don’t @ Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Two weeks ago on a Saturday night, Camp Randall Stadium came to life thanks to a football matchup between our beloved Badgers and the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The fact that Wisconsin pulled out the win made it memorable, but there were also so many other factors that made this night game – and every other night game for that matter – one for the books. Here are five reasons why:

1. Playing Under the Lights

There’s a reason the phrase (and TV show) ‘Friday Night Lights’ exists! Not only does it make for great picture lighting – obviously very important – but it’s also one of the signs that fans associate with a football game. However, not every college team playing on Saturday gets to experience it. That means when the opportunity does come your way, everyone looks forward to it.

2. Phone Flashlights

Another source of illumination that also shares the spotlight! There is always at least one moment during the game when you see a lonely phone flashlight turn on from across the stadium. Slowly, everyone starts to catch on and the dots of light spread. When you realize that each little light represents a fan cheering on their favorite team, it creates a sense of comradery and makes for a truly magical sight.

3. The Moon

Okay, yes this is another source of light, but I promise it’s the last one. With all the other lights coming from the city and field, it can be hard to see the stars – but there is one natural source of light that can’t be dimmed: the moon. One of the most breathtaking sights can be seen when you take just a second of your attention away from the game to look up at the sky and see the moon shining down, almost as if it was a spectator of the action, too.

Bonus for the Badger readers: One of the most cherished songs played during games has lyrics about this – there has to be a reason, right?! “If you want to be a Badger, just come along with me, by the bright shining light of the moon.”

4. Prime Time Coverage

One of the effects of football being a business is that television coverage is taken into account when deciding game times. The games that include the best teams and matchups take priority and get the best time slot – aka prime time. So, when your team plays late, you can plan on it being worth your money.

5. The Hype

Everyone waited all day for the game, so by the time it starts, adrenaline is running high. The stadium is louder than usual thanks to the extra energy. Plus, it’s a safe estimate to say the game will end around 10 p.m. meaning the night is still young! After your team wins (like the Badgers did that Saturday, woot!) it’s the perfect time to head out for a celebratory pizza slice or to hit the dance floor with your crew.

Night games are an all-around win. So, the next time your team is scheduled to play one, throw on your gear, grab your friends and cheer at the top of your lungs until the men of the hour get the W.

Best. Saturday. Ever.

Aubrynn is a small town Wisconsin girl with big city dreams. She is currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing a career in the sports broadcasting industry. Some of her favorite things include smelling flowers, laughing with her friends, and the color pink. She hopes to inspire people to believe in themselves and to treat everyone they meet with kindness. You can keep up with everything happening in the life of Aubrynn on Twitter (@AubrynnVV) and Instagram (@brynnvv).
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!