This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It was hard to choose just five…

Last semester, Gilmore Girls was constantly on my living room T.V. I started the show during summer’s long, carefree days, full of picnics and watching the sunset with friends. I continued watching as the leaves turned color, pumpkins made their way onto steps, and planning for Halloween began. I finally finished after the first major snowfall, with Christmas decorations around my living room, as I was drinking hot chocolate.

Throughout all the different characters and plot lines, one couple I kept going back to was Jess and Rory. Jess is the bad boy in town and keeps to himself (and will never back down from a fight). However, he’s intelligent when he puts his mind to things. Rory is a beloved, studious girl that the town worships. She spends her free time reading and building memories with her mom, Lorelai. While they seem nothing alike, their chemistry as friends to lovers, and their history together, make them a prominent couple. With that, I want to highlight my top five moments of Jess and Rory. 

5. Rory and Jess Meet

When Jess automatically goes to Rory’s bookshelf, you know they’re going to share an intellectual connection. Then, when Jess begins to sneak out the window and Rory says no, it’s clear that he’s going to be someone in Rory’s life that she’s never had before.

4. The Sleigh Ride

Jess sees Rory in a sleigh by herself, and takes a chance, literally hopping into it as it’s moving to be with her. Jess questions Rory about her relationship with Dean, her boyfriend, asking what they talk about and what’s so good about him. In response, Rory asks Jess why he’s in this town if he hates it so much. With the snow around them, sharing a blanket, and sitting side-by-side, it’s a romantic scene between two friends (at that point) that’s hard to forget.

3. When Jess Brings Rory Dinner

This is one of the first intentional moments that Jess brings himself to have with Rory. Jess brings food to Rory, lying that it was Luke who made him deliver it. When he invites himself in, Rory doesn’t totally object, making it obvious that she likes his presence just as much as he likes hers. Jess acts casual, but in those small moments, he makes sure that Rory knows that he cares for her. What makes this scene even better is how he and Rory’s friend, Paris, get along.

2. Rory visits Jess in New York

After some unfortunate events, Jess moves back to New York. This moment is special because Rory does something so uncharacteristic and skips school to see him. Jess asks her, “Why did you come here?… That’s so not like you,” showing how well he knows her. She wanted to say goodbye to him one last time, and an excuse to see him. It’s at this moment that Lorelai says, “Honey, you’re falling for Jess.” A new shift in Rory emerges.

1. “Why did you drop out of Yale?”

This scene showed everyone (the audience and Rory) how well Jess knows Rory and how he’s not afraid to shoot straight. At this point, Rory has dropped out of Yale, and Jess is the first person (even before her mom) to really ask what’s going on with her. When Rory gives Jess a superficial answer, he keeps asking. He then says the iconic lines, “I know you, I know you better than anyone. This isn’t you… Why did you drop out of Yale?!” This is the first time that someone asks Rory what’s going on after she leaves school. Jess showed how much he cared, and he wanted Rory to do what was best for her. 

After reading this, how can you not love Jess and Rory? The slow burn makes me melt every time, and seeing them grow up together and come to each other is both heartwarming and heart-wrenching.

Natalia Iding

Wisconsin '23

I'm a Sophomore at the Univerity of Wisconsin-Madison and planning to double major in Human Development and Family Studies and Gender Woman's Studies. In my free time, I like to watch Netflix, play sports, and hang out with my family!