This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It really is what you make it

Coming into college, I had no idea what to expect, especially since my campus is the polar opposite of my high school in terms of diversity, size, opportunities, and really just everything. As I’m closing my first semester, I’ve learned that the wonderful thing about college is that you can be whoever you want and give anything a try at least once. More than anything, I’ve come to understand how great of a privilege it is to attend classes every day. I’m constantly in awe of the minds I’m surrounded by. People are just so passionate and excited to learn about the topics they enjoy. As someone who’s been lucky enough to know what they wanted to study going into the journey, it’s been crazy in the best way possible to be able to do the same. 

Since move-in, I’ve forged beneficial relationships with my TAs and professors, which is something that I was concerned about when choosing to attend such a large institution. It didn’t help that I was completely non-functional and riddled with anxiety my first couple of days here. Initially, I truly thought that I was doomed to never have meaningful contact with anyone ever again. However, after a couple of harsh but loving pep talks from my hometown friends, I broke free from my spiral and put myself out there. 

Within the last month, the connections I’ve formed have afforded me some pretty cool, and admittedly nerdy, opportunities. Like I said before, that’s one of the beautiful things about the college experience. I was invited to do research on various projects within the Gender and Women’s Studies department, and essentially take my pick of where I would like to help out. On top of it, my lovely professor decided that I would be a great candidate for taking advanced classes, offering to override the university’s course requirements so that I can dig deeper into the material. Through the Spanish department, I, along with a few of my friends who also displayed a special interest, got invited to a conference on Uruguayan law, poetry, and censorship. It is beyond me that I’m able to participate in these exclusive events. 

I have made friendships here that I don’t think I ever would’ve made in high school. I was a person who was pretty closed off and very comfortable in the small social circle I’d established for myself. I didn’t have that safety net when I arrived on campus, and it’s probably what I’m most grateful for in this whole experience. I happened upon a group of people who are pure at heart, passionate and ambitious, fun-loving, and best of all, uplifting to those around them. Even though I miss my incredible people at home every day, the chosen family I’ve created here is my number one mechanism to soothe some of my sadness. 

Although college life has certainly proven itself to be a big adjustment and has had more than its fair share of ups and downs (i.e. my several ER trips, being sick for close to 7 weeks straight, drowning in makeup work, challenging professors, learning to share a small space with another person, and living in a dorm that’s under construction), it was undoubtedly what I was most thankful for at this year’s Thanksgiving table. My advice to people who will be in my position next year? It’s ok to feel weird. It *is* weird. But get out there and meet people, because the second you do, the rest will 100% fall into place.

Sophia Thomas

Wisconsin '26

Sophia is a current first-year student at UW-Madison and couldn't be more excited to be a baby Badger! She's a Wisco girl born and raised, so the way to her heart is any cheesy meal or dessert that involves ice cream/custard. In her spare time, Sophia enjoys hosting friends for dinner, trying out new cafés, rewatching all of her favorite shows, and, of course, coming up with fresh article ideas for Her Campus!