This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This summer I want to read as much as possible. Here are my reasons why and some of the books I’m most looking forward to.

This past spring break I read two books for leisure and was reminded of how fun it can be to read a story that isn’t for school. On my first flight I spent the whole five hours reading, and one of my friends even watched me burn through that book. To be honest, reading again felt amazing and refreshing. I was disappointed whenever I had to put my book down, and the minute I could relax I pulled out my book and began right where I left off. I loved having this passion for reading again, as I was an avid reader when I was younger and I missed the excitement of staying up until the middle of the night just to finish a book. Due to this experience, I’ve decided that I am going to read as much as possible over the summer and I’m so excited to do so. Here is my (partial) summer reading list split into the categories I’m the most excited for. 

Category 1: Contemporary Romance

One of the books I read over spring break was The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas. This book was a great spring break read and had the perfect amount of cheesy romance. After reading this gem and getting back into my groove of reading for leisure, I’ve compiled a small list of more contemporary romance novels that I can’t wait to start. 

1.  People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry 
  2. The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood
  3. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover 
  4. It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

Category 2: Villian Stories 

I’m also interested in exploring villain stories. I love to read about individuals who have power, whether magical or through connections and authority. This summer, I’m looking forward to delving deeper into this new genre that I’ve yet to explore. Here are a few books I’ve found either by searching the internet, TikTok, or talking to my friend who is an avid reader. 

1. The Villain Series by V.E. Schwab 
  2. All of Us Villains Series by Amanda Foody and Christine Lynn Herman 
  3. The Young Elites Series by Marie Lu 

Category 3: Recommendations from others 

My last category has less of a single description and more of a compilation of books recommended to me via friends, family, and others. Thus, this is my list of books that have been introduced to me and don’t have a certain category within my mind.             

1. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid 
  2. Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng 
  3. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller 
  4. Your Perfect Year by Charlotte Lucas
  5. The Killer Collective by Barry Eisler

My main goal of reading over the summer, and hopefully more after, is to rekindle my love for reading and to be able to talk about these novels with others. My mom, a friend at home, and some friends here at school are avid readers and I’d love to connect with them through something we both enjoy. I believe reading books will bring me closer to these people, in addition to making me more excited to delve into new stories. So, I’m very excited for this summer to start each of these books and to immerse myself in their stories.

Brooke Wiley

Wisconsin '24

Brooke is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.