This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I missed my pets at home and I was going home almost every other weekend just to visit them and cure my homesickness. I was beyond stressed and struggling with anxiety. This was when an Emotional Support Animal was suggested to me; I fell in love with the idea of having a pet on campus with me. There was a lot to consider before adopting a pet right away, this actually took over a year of planning. I had to continue my therapy sessions with my new therapist and make sure this was the right avenue of treatment to go down. I had to find roommates that wanted to live with a pet, I mean who wouldn’t, but one of my roommates at this time was allergic. I then had to choose a dog or a cat and find that little angel to take home with me. 

I had the dream dog in mind until I realized it would require doggy daycare, grooming, pottying in the middle of blizzards, and 6am wake up calls. After discussing my choices with my parents, I knew that a cat was my best option. I found the perfect little girl who actually chose me when I visited her at Jada’s Fosters. I found my Misty May. I adopted her in the beginning of May (hence her middle name) and that gave us most of the summer to bond even though it seemed we had bonded at first touch. 

In just a few months at my parent’s house during the summer time, she learned her name. She learned to not lick my face at three in the morning. The cutest thing was that she would follow me wherever I went, especially when she thought I was going to get her food. Her command for come was “jingle jingle”. It was originally just to have her hear my voice and move so I would hear her bell, but it turned into her coming to me. Then it turned into whenever I snapped, she would come. I could tell you all about the summer with my new kitten, but I want to get to living at school with her. 

Come school time it took some adjusting for the both of us to get into a stable routine that was also sustainable. Me getting up at 8am to feed her wet food everyday, was not sustainable. My typical day includes our morning snuggles, making sure she has food and water, and then some playtime before I have to lock her back in my room for class time if it’s a long day. After class she gets free roam and she lays next to me while I do my studies and naps with me during my afternoon nap. At this point of the semester we’ve got it down pat. 

She has really helped me when it comes to feeling lonely or stressed. She’s always there for me and is always willing to cuddle when I’m feeling down or stressed over exams. Petting her actually really helps, just like the studies said it would. She’s also an accountability and responsibility aspect in my daily routine. I can’t stay in bed because Misty needs food and water and to be played with, otherwise she will literally go crazy with licking my face or giving me love nibbles because she has so much pent up energy. She follows me around and “meows” for me when she doesn’t know where I am. We even do “Marco Polo” sometimes; she makes me feel needed and wanted.

Unfortunately with all the good there is some bad. The downsides of having a pet on campus include that I can’t go home as often because transportation doesn’t allow pets. I can’t stay away for too long because she needs me and is honestly a very social cat so I know she needs attention every couple hours in order to be happy. Now, if you had a very independent cat, you could possibly leave for the weekend as long as they had enough food and water, but it’s all depending on the personality of your pet and what would make them happy. These considerations are even more important if you have a dog because they are dependent on you to take them outside to go to the bathroom. You don’t want to clean up that mess and end up paying your security deposit, and you especially don’t want to make your dog have to do something they know is naughty because they simply can’t hold it any longer. They do what they can to make you happy, so you have to do that in return. She can also be a bit of a troublemaker, we went from living in a two story house to a 3 bedroom apartment, so she has a lot less room to run around. Her energy sometimes finds poor outlets like jumping on counters or trying to tear down tapestries. 

The other thing I had to consider is taking my roommates wants and needs into account and listening. Do they mind if she is out when I am not home? Do they mind if she is on the coffee table? They are also living with her so I have to control what I can to try and make them happy too with the four legged roommate. It’s hard not to love her, so I don’t think she’s caused any issues. Lastly, the veterinary bills and where I would take her in an emergency are other factors to consider. She has had a few medical concerns that cost me well over $200 which add up quickly. I knew this as a pet owner already that this was my responsibility to make sure she stays healthy. 

In my opinion it is all worth it. All the downs are more than balanced out my the ups. She is honestly the best thing that has happened to me. This has been a learning experience for the both of us and has made me into a better person. I love her with all my heart, I would do anything for her. She is my furry child. 

If you are thinking about getting a pet of your own to live with you on campus, I say go for it! I also say, deeply consider it and talk it over with both your roommates, landlord, and parents before you make any sort of adoption plans. If you want to talk more about having a cat on campus, I’m your gal, feel free to reach out to me on social media and ask questions. I’m a strong animal advocate so I would be happy to answer any and all questions.

Laura Dirk

Wisconsin '21

Hi! I am a senior at the University of Wisconsin - Madison studying biology. I am crossing my fingers to get into vet school to continue my education and follow my dream! Follow along my rollercoaster of college with me through my articles, learn new tips and tricks, learn from my mistakes, be inspired!
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.