This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Book lovers might want to skip this one

I was an avid reader up until high school, when I just had no time to read books for pleasure, but I finally got back into reading this year. As someone who has been thoroughly enjoying the experience, I have developed some hot takes about books and reading that I want to share with you. Also, these are just my opinions; it is totally okay to disagree with me (and most of you probably will).

1. I don’t like hardcover books

I used to think it really didn’t matter, but I have changed my mind. Will I read a hardcover? Yes, but I would much rather read a paperback. The pages are more floppy, the book is lighter and it just feels more comfortable to hold. Sometimes hardcovers look prettier than paperbacks, but I would prefer a book that is comfortable to read over one that looks pretty on my shelf. I also feel like half the pretty hardcovers actually just have pretty dust jackets that always get crinkled and are also annoying to read with them on.

2. I’ve never read Harry Potter (and I don’t intend to)

*Cue gasps of horror* Yes, I’m aware that this is not very common, especially for book lovers. I’ve just never been drawn to them, and now they just seem overwhelming to get through (and I don’t want to give J.K. Rowling any of my money). I remember reading the first few chapters of the first book in fifth grade and not enjoying them, so I moved on to other books and never retried the series. I’ve seen parts of some of the movies, and I just don’t think this series is for me.

3. I prefer stand-alone novels to series

Speaking of series, I don’t really like to read them anymore. As a middle schooler, they were my thing. But now, I prefer a story that is compact and doesn’t need a sequel or five to conclude the story. Maybe if I found one where I was really compelled by the characters, I would care more, but for right now I will just read one-off books.

4. Books that I think are overrated…

Sally Rooney fans look away! I’m sure Rooney is a lovely person, but Normal People made me so annoyed and, honestly, angry. It might be my least favorite book I’ve ever read. I think if you enjoy Rooney’s writing style, then you will enjoy her books, but I also think her writing style is very particular. That was my main issue with the book. The other big issue I had was the fact that the whole book was centered around the reader rooting for these two characters and their relationship, which I just didn’t. I strongly disliked Connell and was apathetic to Marienne, and I definitely don’t think they were right for each other. 

Two other popular books that I just didn’t vibe with were One of Us is Lying and Where the Crawdads Sing. I was bored with both, and almost didn’t finish them. I just kept expecting their stories to get more exciting, and they didn’t. 

My final overrated book is technically a play, and it has to be Romeo and Juliet. I love Shakespeare’s plays, but this is one of his weaker ones, in my opinion. It’s also the one I hear the most people talk about, which is why I find it to be overrated. The story and characters fell flat to me and I know he can write much better works. 

5. Dog-earing books is fine

I know this is controversial, but I honestly don’t care how people decide to mark what page they ended on. When I was younger, I dog-eared all my books because I hated bookmarks. Now, I try to avoid dog-earing, but it’s not a big deal if I see a library or used book that has dog-eared pages.

6. I don’t love audiobooks (but I wish I did)

I’ve given audiobooks many tries, but I still much prefer reading a physical copy. The only audiobooks I enjoy are memoirs narrated by the author of the book, because it’s like they are telling me their life story. Other than that, they can’t keep my attention, and I always feel like I’m disconnected from the story. I wish I liked audiobooks more because it would be convenient, but I just can’t get on board. 

So those were my hot takes. I’m sorry for any distress I may have caused the Harry Potter fandom or those against dog-earing pages. We all have unpopular opinions. The beautiful thing about reading is that it’s so subjective. 

Ava Calpino

Wisconsin '22

Ava Calpino is a senior strategic communication major at UW Madison. She previously wrote for LMU's chapter. She loves writing, the environment, and cute animals.