This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How to transform your makeup routine using just a few helpful products

It’s completely normal to get bored of your makeup routine. Using the same products every day and applying them with the same tools and techniques can get old very fast. This repetitive cycle can take the enjoyment out of putting makeup on and leave you in a creativity or confidence slump. Believe me, I know what it’s like to have certain tried and true products that you can never even think of parting with. However, if there are a couple products you wouldn’t mind swapping out and are craving a sense of change, I’ve compiled a list of new products and tools you can use to spice up your routine and make yourself look and feel great. 

Cream Blush

For some reason, when I was in middle school and high school, applying blush felt embarrassing. I thought that it made me look too “young” and reminded me of the days when I used Hello Kitty blush and sloppily applied glittery eyeshadow with the makeshift brush of my finger. However, I now could not be more in love with the appearance of it and think that it makes my makeup look significantly more flattering and cohesive. It really just ties everything together. My personal favorite is Milk Makeup’s cream stick blush in the shade “Werk It”. Especially since I look like my skin hasn’t seen the sun in many months, the nice flush of pink gives me a slightly sun-kissed look and gives my face much more dimension. The product applies like a dream; it just needs to be blended in with a finger, beauty blender, or stippling brush and you’re done.

Angled Eyeliner Brush

Many people turn to the traditional black liquid liner when they want to make a statement with their eyeliner: it’s a classic and usually works like a charm. However, if you’re not a fan of that technique or want to change it up a bit, I’ve added something to my routine that has undoubtedly elevated my makeup looks: angled eyeliner brushes. What I often do is use this style of brush, dip it into black or brown eyeshadow, draw along my lash line and continue that past my eye to create a wing. The powder from the eyeshadow creates a smokier look that is less harsh on eye shapes.

Lip oil

Lip glosses have always been a highly coveted makeup product that can pull a look together within a matter of seconds. They’re great, but something new that has been trending are lip oils. Lip oils are a lip product that provides a sheen and touch of color to the lips. Their consistency can be described as something between a balm and a gloss: they’re lighter and less sticky than your usual gloss. I have recently been trying them out and absolutely love the way they look. Overall, they elevate my usual makeup routine and make me feel more confident and put together.

Makeup is one of my favorite things to do, and I know this is the case for many others as well. It’s my own time to debrief and turn my brain off between hours of classes and schoolwork. However, it’s only natural to get a bit bored of your normal routine. With the addition of these products, you’ll be so much more excited to apply your makeup and it will add a sense of creativity to your life.

Maddy Adler

Wisconsin '24

Hello! My name is Maddy and I'm a staff writer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying Political Science. I love cooking, making art, and reading.