Style > Fashion

Let’s Face It: “Cheugy” is Really Just a Pipeline to Trendy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Here’s why you shouldn’t throw out the “passé” clothes you bought last month

It was a brisk winter day. In an attempt to fight the bitter cold, I pulled my North Face jacket zipper up to my chin as my other hand clutched a freezing cold Starbucks cup. I could feel the pink claw clip slipping out of my carefully crafted messy bun while my flared yoga pants lightly grazed the icy ground. Thankfully, my feet were warm and toasty inside of my brand new Ugg boots. I know what you’re thinking—that’s a scene straight out of 2008. But no, that was just me walking to class two weeks ago.

When it comes to microtrends, I’ve fallen victim to just about every fashion fad in the book. The pleated white tennis skirt in 2013, scrunchies, baguette bags, the revival of the tennis skirt in 2020, tiny rectangular sunglasses… you name it. As a self-proclaimed shopping addict, these short-lived trends can make the shopping habit hard to break while creating even larger issues in terms of sustainability. As soon as a piece of clothing becomes fashionable on TikTok and Instagram, it is no longer in style by the time I’ve received it in the mail. This cycle constantly leaves me staring at my closet in despair while feeling like I have nothing to wear. To make matters worse, with the word “cheugy” (Gen-Z talk for “out of style”) circulating on social media, I can’t help but feel embarrassed for wearing “last season” clothes that I just purchased a few months ago.

However, after being called “cheugy” by several fourteen-year-olds on TikTok, I came to a realization: “cheugy” clothes always come back in style. Two years ago, I would not have been caught dead wearing flared yoga pants with a Victoria’s Secret-inspired waistband like I did in middle school. Now, however, the trend has resurfaced—just like mom jeans, high-top sneakers and every other fashion trend out there. Therefore, it’s not worth it to throw out the things you enjoy just because they are no longer trendy. Firstly, the item will likely come back into style. Secondly, throwing out mass-produced clothing items contributes to the never-ending pile of consumer waste. Lastly, “cheugy” is a concept made up by teenagers on the Internet. You should wear the clothes that make you feel comfortable and confident, regardless of how “cool” they are on social media.

Thus, rather than continuing to participate in overconsumption with fast fashion items, I am making it a goal to only buy the trendy items that I truly like, not just because they are trendy at the moment. Fashion is all about expressing your personality and individual style, so if you like it, wear it! Plus, if you’re still secretly embarrassed about wearing non-trendy clothes, just remember that fashion is incredibly recyclable. Just know that if you throw those clothes out, you’re not only hurting the planet, but you may also regret it the next time the item resurfaces.

Nicole Herzog

Wisconsin '23

Nicole is a junior majoring in journalism with a double track in Reporting and Strategic Communication at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is additionally obtaining certificates in Digital Studies and Art History. Nicole is passionate about feminism, art, fashion, and most importantly, Harry Styles. Follow her on instagram @nicoleherzog!