Kelly Winkel, Adaptive Exercise Volunteer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Can you describe what you do as an adaptive exercise volunteer?

Essentially, I aid individuals of various disabilities engage in physical activity. The clients can choose to work in the gym classes, swim classes, or both. The swim classes can be especially helpful, but not limited to, clients who suffer from arthritis and multiple sclerosis.

Why and how did you get involved with this position?
I had heard about this adaptive exercise position from a co-worker that had previously worked in the program, and contacted Tim Gattenby, the coordinator. I joined because as an uncertified undergraduate, it is a great chance to work hands-on clients of various disabilities, and really gain an insight into necessary skills that I will someday need as a physical therapist.

What do you find is the most rewarding aspect as a volunteer?
The hands-on portion is the most rewarding, and I have made some long-lasting relationships with clients. I have volunteered in multiple settings, from hospitals to schools, but this adaptive exercise position has given me the most responsibility, and therefore been the most rewarding of all my experiences. Working as a volunteer for multiple semesters, I was able to see a lot of progress made by clients, which in itself is always awesome to be a part of.

Dream job?
My dream job is a physical therapist. Neurology is an area that has recently gotten my attention, but I am still uncertain about the specific area I would like to specialize in.

Since you’re graduating in a week, we’re gonna get a little nostalgic on ya: what are you going to miss the most about being a UW-Madison student?
Jump around, beers on the terrace, bus passes, and free gym membership. What I will not miss are exams, all-nighters, tedious assignments, and living on pasta.