The iPhone X: What’s the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Apple is bringing out three new iPhones this year. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are already out, but the most anticipated product is the iPhone X. Yes, Apple is skipping the iPhone 9 and moving right onto the iPhone X. So what is the hype about the iPhone X? Here are the new features:

1. No Home Button

The iPhone X will have a new display screen that measures 5.8 inches diagonally. The “Super Retina Display,” as Apple calls it, will go from top-to-bottom and edge-to-edge. Instead of a home button, you will now have to swipe up or tap on the screen to wake up the iPhone X.

2. All-New Design

The iPhone X will be entirely made out of glass from the front to the back, which will enable wireless charging. The battery life of the iPhone X will also last two hours longer than the iPhone 7 Plus. This means that you can spend more time on Snapchat without worrying about your battery life.

3. Face ID

Sure, the iPhone X won’t have a home button, but you can unlock your phone just by looking at the screen. The screen will illuminate your face, which allows it to work in the dark. Some have speculated the accuracy of this technology. Personally, I wonder how it would recognize me in all of my states— will it matter if I have a full face of makeup or if I’ve just woken up?

4. Animoji

These emojis are controlled by your face. This technology will allow you to create animations of various characters by capturing your facial movements. You can use it to send video messages to your friends with your favorite emojis—you can imagine the fun you could have with this.

5. Dual Camera

This phone features a dual-lens, 12-megapixel, rear camera. The front and back camera will both support Portrait mode—hello, selfies! Both of the cameras will use the new “Natural Lighting” effect and a color filter. There is also another new feature called “Portrait Lighting,” which will polish your pictures up for a more professional look.

6. Augmented reality

iPhone X users will be able to create augmented reality applications that can be placed in the real world— think PokemonGo. Another interesting feature is the sky guide, which will allow you to point your rear camera at the sky to reveal constellations and their names.

The iPhone X is one of the most anticipated phones of the year because of its features. The main disadvantage is the price ($999!). It costs a lot of money, but I, among many others, would love to get my hands on the iPhone X.

Cynthia Ubah grew up in Maryland. She is attending University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing International Studies with a certificate in Global Health and East Asian Studies. She hopes to work and live in South Korea for a few years. If you are looking for someone to watch Korean drama with or listen to Kpop, she is your girl. Her interests are God, cooking, hangout with friends, reading books, learning Korean, and fashion. Check out her blog at https://mylifeinthemoments.wixsite.com/mysite .