I hate reality TV shows. Why did I love “Perfect Match” so much?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you had to watch one Netflix reality show, let this be the one you watch

I really tried to get into reality shows, especially when Netflix released a slew of them during quarantine. Love is Blind, Too Hot to Handle, The Bachelor; nothing could keep my attention longer than one or two episodes. Perhaps it’s because of how unrelatable most of the characters were, like you’re telling me you can’t keep it in your pants for $100,000? Also, all of the Bachelor men seemed like cardboard cutouts of each other, without distinct personalities or character traits besides douchiness, so I can’t really justify all the crying and backstabbing that happens just for a rose.

So when I was looking for the next background show to play while I work on homework or scroll on my phone, I was surprised that I clicked on ‘Perfect Match.’ I recognized some of the big names on the show, like Francesca Farago, who was on Too Hot to Handle and whose drama with her ex-boyfriend and co-star I unwillingly got sucked into on TikTok. I figured, at least the background noise would be long enough for me to finish my essay. 

I did not finish my essay. Instead, I spent the entire time staring at the screen like an iPad kid, truly fascinated and entranced by the show. The show’s premise is like a mix of Bachelor in Paradise and Love Island, with the goal of being voted as the perfect match at the end of the show. If you’re a reality show connoisseur, the contestants will be very familiar to you as they bring in Netflix vets from shows like The Circle, Too Hot to Handle, Love is Blind, The Mole and more. Of course, we also have host Nick Lachey, who seems to be Netflix’s only choice for any reality TV show host. 

Every night, the singles pair off as couples and spend the night together. Then the next day, they take part in a challenge where the winning couple gets to bring two men or two women into the house to go on a date with someone from the house, or themselves. The entry of two new singles always ends up mixing up the pairings, with the last two remaining contestants without a partner being sent home. 

Admittedly, writing about the show and reflecting about the different challenges the contestants had to endure or the format of the show itself makes it seem kind of dumb. But trust me when I say, it’s the perfect mix of stupid, funny and entertaining to keep me on the hook. The show is a mix of people who are genuinely trying to find a love connection while competing against each other in a strategic game to not end up alone at the end of the night. It doesn’t focus too much on sex, or some kind of social phenomenon about love like whether love is blind (it’s not, let’s be real here). Instead, it’s just a bunch of really attractive people having fun on a beach, playing games and going on little dates with one another. 

The fact that most of the cast were vaguely familiar with one another and had previous history makes the show really entertaining, even for someone like me who didn’t really know any of these stars beforehand. The contestants get tested by going on dates with their former flings to see if their match is truly the one for them, or if they would run back to their exes (spoiler, they all ran back to their exes). Some of the contestants also had beef with one another from their time on a different reality show, making the dynamics of the relationships in the house even more fun and interesting. 

The twists were what really got me hooked on the show too. You’re telling me that Francesca is willing to ditch Dom, who is a tall drink of water with tattoos and the sweetest personality, for Damian, who kind of looks like a buff version of my best friend’s dad (and not in a DILF kind of way either)? Did Chloe really pick her ex-boyfriend Mitchell over the proclaimed love of her life Shayne, only to run back to Shayne in a dramatic, slow-motion run on the beach scene two episodes later? The show does not disappoint with the number of audible gasps that I let out while watching it.

I started to genuinely root for certain characters and pairings. My favorite pair was Kariselle and Joey, who had history with one another before the start of the show and had a rocky beginning as their relationship was tested by another cast member. However, the two remained strong throughout the whole season and Joey ends up proposing to Kariselle in the last episode. While they didn’t win, I sure think that they were my favorite couple in the show, because of how fun but also vulnerable they were with each other. 

There’s also Ines, who is so sweet and loved by all the cast members, but seemed to have the worst luck with finding a man to partner with. She is so genuine in the way she approaches her pairings and the way she is willing to work things out with each of the men she was paired with. Even though she left the show single, I can’t help but hope that she finds someone perfect for her soon, because boy did the men in that house treat her wrong. 

The show also features one of the first LGBTQ+ representation in a reality dating show, with Francesca being paired up to go on a date with Abbey, both of whom identify as bisexual. The show also featured a scene where Kariselle opens up about her worries of being accepted into Joey’s family as a bisexual woman, with Joey confidently reassuring her that they will love and accept her either way. I wouldn’t say that the depiction of bisexual relationships was great in this show, especially with the way Francesca and Abbey’s relationship went down in the end, but representation is so important and the show remains to be a good step forward in showing the complicated and raw feelings that arise with queer love and bisexuality and identity in a genuine way. 

Overall, Perfect Match isn’t a perfect show, but it was fun and certainly an entertaining watch. If you’re looking for something that doesn’t require much thinking after a long day of classes and homework, I’d highly recommend watching the show. The show didn’t convert me into a reality show lover, but if Season 2 comes out, I’ll be hosting a watch party for sure. 

Nadya Hayasi

Wisconsin '23

Nadya is a senior in UW-Madison studying History and Political Science, with certificates in Southeast Asian Studies and Public Policy. Outside of Her Campus, she spends her time going out with friends, napping, and justifying why taking the bus up Bascom Hill is much better than climbing it every day at 9am.