How to Write and Complete a To-Do List for the Busy College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Most college kids constantly have things to do, from homework to school organizations to volunteering to working. Sometimes it can get really overwhelming and things can be missed. Here are some tips on how to keep track of what you have to do, and how to actually complete your to-do list.

Creating the list:

Whether you use a planner or the calendar on your phone, keeping track of things is now easier than ever. You can easily input things into your phone’s schedule when you learn of them, such as an upcoming exam or the next club social. If you prefer to use something other than your phone, I definitely recommend a pocket planner. Just make sure you carry it with you at all times so whenever something comes up you can add it.

It’s a good idea to write down everything you know you have going on either weekly or monthly. Monthly is really only ideal, however, when you know that far in advance. Also, make sure to include homework assignments and not just club meetings/socials or sporting events. This way, it’ll be harder to forget when that essay is due or your next exam is.

Completing the list:

Each week look at your schedule so you can see an overview of your busy week. It’ll serve as a reminder early on as to what needs to be done and when.

When there are things on your list such as cleaning your room, doing laundry, or doing homework, the best way to get started is turn the television off and the music up. Music helps enhance better moods as well as is less distracting than a television show. Having constant background noise is also helpful in staying awake to help stay on task.

If this doesn’t help keep you on track, sometimes snacking may help. Make sure it’s pretty healthy, like fruit or a spoonful of peanut butter, because junk food will slow you down and make you feel lazy, maybe even lousy. You want to fuel yourself with the right stuff that’ll keep you going to finish your list. 

Last but not least, if that doesn’t help you stay focused, try setting a goal and a reward for yourself. For example, give yourself an hour to complete a task and if you complete it you can have some chocolate or take a break.

Best of luck on your lists and getting stuff done!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com