How to Wear: Dress Shorts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Four weeks, fellow Badgers. That’s all we have till all the papers, the projects, and the tests are turned. Then our grades will be left to careful calculations (and lots of wishful thinking). But, after that, all the Badgers will go there own ways for summer – working, more classes, or interning. Yeah, that’s right. SUMMER!

So, when the warm weather finally arrives, shorts are obviously a staple of our wardrobes. But, this season, shorts are more than you’re typical denim cut offs. Shorts are getting an upgrade, becoming dressy enough for work and night events. If you have an internship, a job, or a love for shorts, invest in a pair of dress shorts! Work, shopping, lunch, out – they’re definitely something you’ll get use out of.

Dress Shorts: Leather

Contrary to popular belief, the leather look isn’t just for fall and winter. The Spring 2013 shows were littered with the fabric, leather shorts being one of the more popular displays. You could always go for conventional and professional black ones, but you can also get a little cray cray with a pair of bright ones, too. Here are a few different ways to wear these with an internship setting in mind! Remember, though, different jobs call for different dress codes. Try to keep your shorts no shorter than mid thigh and pair them with blazers and dress shirts. But, if you’re job is more laid back than corporate, try the middle outfit. You’re going to make a statement with any of these outfits – just try to make the right statement!

Dress Shorts: Patterned

South Pacific themed paisley and floral patterns are huge this spring, too. For a fun outfit, try to find a pair shorts with this sort of pattern! The outfit possibilities are pretty much endless with these shorts. It just depends on what you’re wearing them for. Like I said before, always keep in mind what you’re setting is. If shorts are allowed at work, try it with a blouse or bright jacket. If you’re going for a more casual look, throw on a tank and cardigan with flats.

Dress Shorts: Flowy and Floaty

These flowy shorts are such an easy way to dress up an outfit. Their light and floaty look resembles a skirt, so I suggest you wear them like you’d wear a skirt! You can try a button up (like this floral one) and flats or dress them up with a blazer and heels. Or, if you a super casual look, add a jean jacket and some oxfords. It’s perfect for a lunch or day event!

It's my first year at UW-Madison and I couldn't be happier. With school, friends, writing, tweeting, pinning, online shopping, eating, drinking coffee, sleeping, LAUGHING, and loving - life is bueno. And, I mean, I create outfits and write about them on one of the greatest websites for college ladies. How could it get any better?
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com