This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The best steps to take in order to stay healthy during school

Coming down with a cold or the flu during school is not a pretty sight; you may experience coughing in lectures, watering eyes and a lost voice, not to mention having to go to the bathroom to get toilet paper to blow your nose. It’s challenging to stay healthy in a college setting where you’re around many different people every day, but there are also many things you can do to maintain your health.

Of course, over-the-counter allergy medicines, pain relievers, and vitamin supplements always help. Growing up, my mom always made me take vitamin C and Lysine supplements in order to strengthen my immune system, and eventually I started taking vitamin D supplements to help with fatigue in the winter months. A personal favorite for clear sinuses is Flonase nose spray (which you can get in packs of three at Costco). Pro-tip: spend the extra buck on the high quality tissues.

An obvious rule that may be hard to follow in a college setting is that you shouldn’t share drinks. Just because someone is your closest friend doesn’t mean that they’re not carrying some sort of affliction. Whether or not the person with whom you’re sharing a drink is clear about how sick they are, just play it safe and keep your drink to yourself.

If you’re able, exercise every week; getting outside and going on a walk or going to the gym for a workout keeps your immune system strong and your body healthy. According to MedlinePlus, participating in exercise can help get bacteria out of your lungs and strengthen your immune system by increasing white blood cell circulation. Getting outside also exposes you to fresh air, which can be a nice change of pace from the stuffy places where you may be hanging out, studying, or working. UW offers many athletic facilities, workout classes, outdoor areas and running paths to utilize throughout the year.

Lastly, be sure to get around eight hours of sleep each night. A few late nights every week or weekend isn’t going to hurt you—it’s a normal part of college life. However, staying up every week night, whether on your phone or stressing about school, could make you feel groggy and unwell, even when the rest of your health is perfectly fine. Making sure your body is well-rested and your mind has time to refresh will keep you feeling your best all year long. If avoiding feeling gross every day isn’t enough, NPR did a study where researchers concluded that people who regularly got less than seven hours of sleep were more likely to have inflammation in their sinuses and get colds; you can read about it more here.

Coming from someone who is on their second (or possibly third) round of the freshman flu, go the extra mile when taking care of yourself; have medicine and tissues handy, wash your hands, get sleep, stay clean and listen to your body when you’re not feeling your best. Your college years will be insanely more enjoyable if you can avoid getting sick, and the steps for staying healthy are right at your fingertips.

Marin Khalifa

Wisconsin '25

"right outside of dc" northern va – wisconsin 2025 <3