How to Make Christmas Feel Like Childhood Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Four ways to boost your Christmas spirit

We all remember the excitement we had as kids the night before Christmas. Counting down the days by cuddling up on the couch with your family and watching some classic Christmas movies. Rushing to get to bed on time but not forgetting to leave milk and cookies out for Santa. Waking up in the morning and running to the tree to see what you got. It was magical. Nowadays, it’s not the same. Instead, we count the days till the holidays because of the anxiety of studying for finals. Sleep deprivation, constant studying and the urge to drop out now flood the holiday season. But how can we reverse this? We deserve to still feel the childhood magic of the Christmas season.

1. Have a Christmas movie night with your roommates

Now, this is an easy one. Text your roommates and agree to all get together and watch some Christmas movies to get in the spirit. Whether it’s the classic Elf movie or a new Netflix original cheesy Christmas movie, it is guaranteed to be a great time. You can make it even better by stopping at the store to get some hot chocolate mix, Christmas cookies or peppermint bark. It may be nice to light a candle or two to really get in a cozy mood. Go all out while you can!

2. Get a few Christmas decorations

Nothing sets the mood better than decking out your whole college apartment or dorm with Christmas decorations. Stop by the State Street Target or DGX to get some cheap decorations to make your apartment/dorm feel more festive. If you live close to campus, it may be a good idea to bring home a few simple decorations from home to save some money. A mini Christmas tree can do wonders for creating a jolly environment. Even if it’s just a Christmas-scented candle or a festive pillow, it helps to get into the spirit and bring excitement for the holidays. 

3. Listen to Christmas music

Walking to class in the freezing cold is never fun, but something that can make it a little more enjoyable is listening to some Christmas music on the way. There’s nothing like a good ol’ Christmas playlist to keep you feeling warm inside. Spotify has many curated Christmas playlists with different genres or vibes of holiday music, so there are plenty of choices. Even if you are just cooking dinner, it’s fun to throw on some Christmas music in the background to stay in the holiday mindset while finals are looming.

4. Get Christmas gifts for your friends

Who doesn’t love presents? Get your friends together to do a white elephant or secret Santa gift exchange. Everyone likes getting presents and there are many options for cheap meaningful gifts in the city of Madison. Doing a gift exchange with friends can help you destress during the finals grind and also take your mind off school for a little while spending time with friends. Nothing is better during the holiday season than spending time with loved ones, and a little present doesn’t hurt either! 

As the school semester comes to a close, it is important to take time to yourself to relax and destress. Take an idea off this list and reminisce on the holiday magic you remember from when you were little. Put on some fuzzy socks, light a candle and watch a holiday movie to unwind. After all, winter break is coming soon!

Camila Rivero

Wisconsin '24

Hi! My name is Camila Rivero and I was born in raised in Boulder, Colorado. I am now attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison hoping to pursue my degree in strategic communications with a minor in digital studies.