Life > Experiences

How to Feel More in Control When School and Life are Stressing You Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Being in control when things feel out of control 

With the midterm season at hand, I guarantee that many of us have dealt with stressful situations or have felt out of control at least once so far this semester. However, those upcoming assignments or exams don’t have to drag you down and make you miserable. Here are a few tips to make you feel more in control when you’re stressed or overwhelmed. 

My first tip is to allow yourself to have small things that you can completely control. I share an apartment with three other girls, but we all have our own rooms. Thus, my bedroom is the one space I have that is 100% my own. I can do whatever I want with my room, allowing me to completely control a certain space that doesn’t impact anyone besides me. This has been especially useful when I feel off-center, out of control, and stressed, because I know I have an environment where I can relax despite everything else going on in my life. 

However, this small thing to control doesn’t have to be your bedroom or physical space. You can choose any small thing that makes you feel more grounded. Having smaller things in your power is vital because it gives you something to come back to when other parts of your life don’t go as planned or feel overwhelming. 

My second tip is to verbally acknowledge what is beyond your power and to give yourself positive affirmations. I used to have a hard time when things didn’t go as planned or when I knew I was powerless in a situation, which was only exacerbated when I had a lot on my plate. 

However, this year I’ve been much better about tackling the anxious feelings and stress surrounding a heavy workload by affirming myself and acknowledging when something is beyond my power and out of my hands. This and having a positive attitude have been especially helpful. I simply focus on knowing that things will work out in the end and that I don’t need to stress myself out over something that I can’t change. Things almost always work themselves out in the end, so I choose to focus on the good in certain situations rather than the negative feelings evoked by stress. 

Another tip I have for helping to deal with stress is to push yourself out of your comfort zone in small ways. This is super important because you’re making yourself slightly uncomfortable in a controlled manner. I think this is something we all need to be doing in our everyday lives, especially when we’re stressed. When we’re stressed, many of us fall back into what is comfortable and safe. However, if we constantly use stress or other situations as an excuse, we’ll never get out of our comfort zones and push ourselves. Thus, I believe pushing yourself out of your comfort zone in small ways is the perfect solution. 

My favorite way to implement this strategy is to wear something new or to put myself into low-stakes social settings. This way I can slowly try something new, but with very low stakes that most other people won’t notice besides myself. This strategy has been helpful so far this semester. 

Lastly, the easiest way to help with stress is to talk to and spend time with your friends or family. Now, I don’t mean constantly venting to your friends and family about how you’re stressed. That isn’t productive because you’re only dwelling on the problem. Instead, talk to your friends and family for encouragement or about other things in your life.  

There’s nothing wrong with asking those around you for words or actions of support, and it’s productive to focus on enjoying your time with those you love. These actions will help you feel less stressed by reminding you that you’re not alone and that there are people who love and support you no matter what grade you get in a class. 

The next time you’re stressed or overwhelmed, just take a step back and examine the situation you’re in. Things often feel out of your control, but you have the ability to push through tough situations, and you have people who’ll support you along the way.

Brooke Wiley

Wisconsin '24

Brooke is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.