How to stay fit and have fun doing it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We all know how hard it is to motivate ourselves to go to the gym, especially when the weather is how it has been lately! For many of us the walk to the gym is a reason enough not to go because when you get there, it’s just slowly passing time of boredom.  That walk may be a little more worth it if you know that something fun is waiting for you at the other end. Having the SERF and a local yoga studio available allows for fitness that is enjoyable and beneficial. All you have to do is pay $20 at the SERF for unlimited classes, choose from various priced packages at Kaivalya Yoga, or do a walk-in pay. Below is a list of classes, so if you want to get fit and have fun while doing it, read on!

Box Blast
This 60-minute class truly is a boxing blast. It is focused on self-defense and gets you in shape at the same time. You can take it as lightly or as seriously as you’d like. If you want to make it a fun experience, go with some friends – it is kind of hilarious trying to watch each other punch an invisible back or “kick someone in the gut.” But you could also put your all into it and get a nice, sweaty workout while having a blast.

Spinology
This is one of the hardest classes I’ve ever taken.  It is 45, 60 or 70 minutes of pure cycling power. The blasting music is what makes it fun. The instructors make playlists that go perfectly with the workout, so it makes it easy to get through. Although you may be waddling like a penguin from being so sore the next day, it’s worth it! Go with your friends and laugh at the way-too-old people who take biking seriously in a college spin class.

Core Power Sculpt
This class is at Kaivalya Yoga on University Avenue. Core Power Sculpt is the most amazing fitness class I have ever taken. I became obsessed with Yoga Sculpt in Chicago and was ecstatic to hear that it had randomly transferred to Madison. If you’re a yoga fan you will love this class (unless you like it for the calming, zen reasons – if that’s the case, then stay away!). This hour and ten minute class is a mix of hot yoga and weight training. You have the option of using weights or not, but by using them you get a much better work out. And of course, as always, the music makes it that much more enjoyable.

If you don’t feel like paying for classes, you could always take a run outside. Running outside tends to be more enjoyable because of the scenery and fresh air, rather than being trapped in a sweaty and white walled gym like the SERF (Note: See “The Best Running Paths in Madison” article for ideas on where to run.) And if none of these alternatives sound appealing to you, then just give in: sit on the couch, put your feet up, and enjoy some cupcakes!