How to Spend Your Last Weeks in Madison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As spring semester comes to a close and the academic calendar for 2013-2014 runs thin, campus continues to buzz with students who are not nearly ready to leave.  Although May is quickly approaching, the activities throughout the capital city are never cut short, and people must take advantage of their last few weeks in Madison.  Here are 10 ways to live it up as our time at UW-Madison comes to a halt.

1.Try the Food Carts

One of the first signs that spring has sprung is the re-emergence of the food carts in Library Mall that we all know and love.  While some of them are popular year-round, the last few weeks of school leave time to try those that are visited less often.  Take advantage and make your rounds through the food carts…maybe being adventurous enough to try every one!

2.Take a Lunch/Study Break on the Terrace

The terrace is one of the best features of UW-Madison’s campus that must be taken advantage of!  As the infamous terrace chairs come out for the beginning of spring, it is necessary to occupy one for a day of relaxation with a view of the gorgeous lake.

3.Walk on Lakeshore Path

Although Lakeshore dorms are known for their distance from our main campus, taking a stroll on Lakeshore path is a must in the nice weather.  Not only will this be an easy and relaxing exercise, but the views of nature and the lake will undoubtedly boost your appreciation for this beautiful place that we call home.

4.Spend Time on the Docks

During the stress of finals, a day on the dock is a necessity.  Being surrounded by the beautiful lake is unlike anything you can experience on any other campus.  Lay out to get a nice tan, or just chill with your feet over the edge in anticipation for the warmer waters of August/September when you can actually jump in.

5.Take a Trip to James Madison Park

Although the park is not directly on campus, a 10-minute walk down Langdon is all that it takes to be on green grass with an accessible basketball court, playground, and path along the lake.  Be adventurous and be active!

6. Rent a Bike & Take a Ride

The beauty of Madison extends beyond this campus, so explore it!  With the beautiful weather that has finally fallen upon us, the opportunity to rent bikes has become its most exciting.  Get together with friends, rent a bike, and take a ride.  For anybody not from Madison, seeing residential areas may make you feel a little more at home.

7.Go to the Farmers Market

The market is back!  A walk down State Street will lead you to the hustle and bustle of Madison that surrounds the infamous Farmers Market.  With the best of the best in dairy and farming, the market is a great way to experience what the state of Wisconsin is known for.

8.Visit the Chocolate Shoppe or the Daily Scoop

On the topic of food, there is no way to deny that Wisconsin ice cream is seriously the best.  Whether you treat yourself to Babcock ice cream at the union, or Chocolate Shoppe ice cream on State Street, it will be evident that Wisconsin dairy cannot be beat!  Grab the chance to get a treat and cool off in the warmer weather.

9.Explore the Capitol

Although there is so much else that makes Madison, Wisconsin so unique, the chance to live in a capital city never gets old.  With the nice weather that makes walking actually bearable, make sure to take a stroll to the Capitol building and see where the authorities of Wisconsin do their jobs.  The history within the building is magical, and let’s face it, we’re college students…so take the time to do something fun and intellectual!

10.Take Artsy Instagrams

Would you actually be doing any of these things if you didn’t Instagram them?  Make sure to tap into your badger pride and show your friends the many things that make UW-Madison the most amazing university in the world! 

Hi everybody! I'm Kerry, a freshman at UW-Madison majoring in Journalism with a Digital Studies certificate. I am passionate about writing about all things beauty, love, and many other fascinating facets of life. I'd love for you to join me as I write about my journey through college!