How to: Kardashian Selfie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This week I decided to uncover the mystery behind the flawlessness of Kardashians selfies. I’m sure they possess a certain amount of natural beauty, but there’s got to be something else in the equation. As it turns out, there are two ingredients that create the Kardashian-selfie magic: photo-editing apps and a lot of money. While I don’t have access to the cash that the Kardashians do, I decided I could give those transformational photo-editing apps a try.

My journey to Kardashian-level photos consisted of a few downloads from the app store and some good selfie lighting. Instead of using Kim K’s editing app of choice, FaceTune, which costs $3.99, I made the decision to stick to the free apps because I’m sure the results are pretty similar. Once I finally got a decent selfie-worthy picture where I did not look like a ghost or a gremlin, the real magic began.  (Please note the Kylie Jenner pout—that took a lot of practice).

Visage Lab

This app did all the work for me by adding face makeup, eye makeup, teeth whitening, “glamour,” shine removal, wrinkle smoothing (because at 19, I clearly need it) and color enhancement all at the click of a button.

Perfect 365

This app allowed me to erase the stress-induced bags under my eyes, brighten my eyes and even enlarge them. I could erase blemishes, brighten my skin, soften it and apply foundation to make myself look like I hadn’t spent my entire summer working indoors. There’s even a feature where you can make your smile “deeper,” which was truly terrifying so I didn’t even try. After slimming my face and accenting my nose, I added some makeup to complete my Kardashian transformation.

InstaBeauty

InstaBeauty is similar to Perfect 365 and Visage Lab—it did some of the retouching and then allowed for more customization.  After slimming my face, enlarging my eyes and making my nose smaller, I looked like an airbrushed headshot from “Toddlers and Tiaras.”  I decided to add the filter called “Sexy” just so I no longer looked like a child beauty pageant contestant.

MoreBeaute2

All this app did was brighten the picture so I looked airbrushed. It allows for some customization, but that made me look like I was a weird painting.

After a while, I decided to have a little editing fun on subjects other than myself. Please enjoy…

…a Kardashian-level edited version of Donald Trump (unfortunately, I couldn’t do anything to change his hair).

…and a glammed-up picture of my dog—because why not?

I must say, the experience of being made over, even if it was just virtually, really got to my head.  My smartphone editing app “Grace Kardashian: Hollywood” will be coming to App Stores everywhere next month, and be sure to watch out for my sock line collab with Rob Kardashian in time for Christmas.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!