This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Yep, It’s That Time of Year

As the weather gets colder and the days get darker, I can’t be the only one who feels groggy and tired all the time. I long for the warmer days when I was tan and my hair was blonde. This is the exact feeling that I would describe as seasonal depression. The cold weather and gloomy nights make it harder for me to finish my work and stay productive. Especially in Madison, there is no doubt that this feeling will begin to settle in during the cold winter months. When all you want to do is lay in bed as it snows outside, it becomes challenging to stay upbeat and motivated. However, this winter, I am making the utmost effort to battle the cold months. 

The first thing I want to do during this winter season is get more sleep. I often find myself staying up late into the night when there is simply no reason to. Whether I’m hanging out with friends or scrambling to finish an assignment, I often look at the clock and don’t realize how much time has passed. In order to fix this and be more alert during the day, I will get in bed earlier and wind down with a show or movie to relax and take time for myself.

Another thing I struggle with during this time of year is finding time to sit down and do my work productively. Sitting in my apartment trying to focus has not been the best option for me when it comes to being productive. Even though I’m already a junior, there are still so many places on campus that I have yet to explore. I am going to start going to different coffee shops and workspaces on and off campus in order to get out of my apartment and experience new places. I also think that this will get me in a better headspace and allow me to have alone time to clear my head and focus.

The most important part of getting out of a rut is keeping your mental health intact. Eating healthy and exercising are some of the ways I plan to stay in a good mindset. I am going to try cooking new recipes and get into a workout routine that will be beneficial in helping my seasonal depression.

All of the tactics I plan to use to battle my annual seasonal depression can be carried out past the winter. In the following months, I will utilize these coping mechanisms in my everyday routine in order to continue to stay in a healthy headspace and stay motivated.

Hi, I'm Rebecca, a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying strategic communications and pursuing a certificate in digital studies. I am excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and share my writing with everyone!