yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

How to Have the Best Fall Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

So, you’re new to the city and not quite sure how to celebrate the holidays away from the comfort of your home yet. You’ve left the wild family traditions behind and now you have to begin making a few of your own, but how? Prepare yourself, because you’re about to engage in the finest Halloween spirit of your life.Carve a Pumpkin

First things first: You may not be ten-years-old anymore, but carving pumpkins will always hold a spot inside your soul. Whether you’re engraving an endearing RP+AK or sculpting the classic jack-o-lantern smirk, a personalized pumpkin is sure to brighten anyone’s doorstep this season.

Go to a Haunted House

Smoke machines, strobe lights, murderers hunting you through a gloomy and unfamiliar place. Haunted houses will never get old. No matter if you’re jumpy or not, the gut-wrenching attractions won’t fail to get your adrenaline racing, and besides, haunted houses are the ideal excuse to get closer to that special someone.Bake Fall Foods

Cinnamon, pumpkin swirl with ooey-gooey marshmallow crème, and apple crisp. You simply cannot go wrong with any fall baking concoctions. Throw on your chef hat and toss on the oven mitts because the next Betty Crocker is here, but don’t forget: sharing is caring (hint, hint).Have a Fall Photoshoot

Whether you’re taking adorable photos with your lover or candid pics with your besties, fall has the greatest opportunities fashion-wise. Snuggle up in your blanket scarf and cozy cardigan and get ready for a new and improved profile picture.Try Tailgate’s Cider

If you like apple cider, even the slightest bit, you absolutely HAVE to check out the Tailgate, a café on State Street, for an inviting cup of heaven. The most intriguing part is, it’s located inside a retail store! This way you’re allowed to sip and search for the hottest new trends at the same time.Go to Picnic Point

Picnic Point is truly a work of art and an amazing date spot for [almost] any couple. I only say almost because it is some heavy forestry so I would not advise a midnight hike with a blind date any time soon. However, the view of the glowing capitol across the calm waters is absolutely breath-taking and the winding trails are gorgeous. There are also fire pits open to the public for use on both sides of the path and the seemingly never-ending bus routes around campus make their rounds here as well.Decorate your Dorm/Apartment

Keeping your dorm up to date with the holiday spirit isn’t only cute AF, but also can help you destress/procrastinate that repelling essay a little longer (sorry, Professor). I suggest festive window stickers, Candy Corn Christmas Lights, and obviously a pumpkin pail jam-packed with endless amounts of caramel apple suckers. Complete your flawless fall dorm with any of the many autumn-scented room sprays from Bath & Body Works; I highly recommend Marshmallow Fireside.Go for a Walk

Autumn is known for the high-quality weather: not too hot, not too cold. Take advantage of these crisp, cool days by going for a stroll (preferably not up Bascom Hill) before the cold front billows in.

Scary Movie Marathon

There’s never really a bad time to binge-watch scary movies (unless you’re home alone and it’s 2:00 a.m., that is), but what better time to freak yourself out than during the Halloween season? So, go on ahead and curl up to a spine-tingling episode of Goosebumps with your roomies.Go Costume Shopping on State Street

There’s nothing like waking up on October 31st and trying to throw together a college-affordable costume because the group costume idea failed terribly. Don’t stress. This year, find your outfit before it’s too late. State Street has so many options you could literally be anything from Beyoncé to a slice of pizza (but honestly, is that really a stretch because they’re both perfect).

Go to Freakfest

On October 29th, Freakfest takes the streets of Madison! This is perhaps the biggest Halloween Party one will ever attend. Wear your most creative costumes and come listen to some rockin’ music while devouring some amazing food.

In all reality, the season is what you make it, so let’s make it right. Between the glorious food, gory attractions, and drop-dead gorgeous whether, it should not be too hard of a task. Fall into fall this year with no regrets; the time of your life is “just around the corner” as the Addam’s family would say.

Raven is a junior at UW-Madison majoring in Retailing and Consumer Behavior with certificates in Digital Studies and Entrepreneurship. She will be studying abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia the Spring Semester of 2019.Until then, you can find her at any cafe within a two mile radius of UW-Madison watching The Office/ googling photos of Labrador Retriever puppies with a coffee in hand (unless it's monday night because that's reserved for the Bachelor).
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!