How to Compact Pack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Since 2008, nearly all airlines now charge $25 or more per checked bag. Between paying for the actual flight, hotel costs, food, etc. why spend more when clothes are a necessity! We at HerCampus think it’s important to learn how to pack everything for your exploration vacation in a 45 inch bag. Whether you’re heading home for spring break or across the world, don’t stress about checked bags when we’ve got a cost effective solution for every vacation!

Step 1: Pick the right bag

Although it can be tempting to purchase the first Louis Luggage you see, hold out for a carry on with more substance, at half the price. We recommend any carry on made by Hideo Wakamatsu—the lightweight design will guarantee your luggage to fit in the weight limit. Make sure to purchase one with a hardside case to ensure your clothes will be protected through the craziest of plane rides. Prices range from $149.00- $229.00

Step 2: Bundle

Layer/bundle your clothes together to reduce wrinkles. See photo below!

Step 3: Roll

For maximum packing capacity, roll t-shirts, jeans and shorts! While this can save space and prevent wrinkles (if rolled correctly) it will not reduce the weight of your suitcase. So, while it may look as though you have tons of space left, be conscious to not go over the weight limit.

Step 4: Shoe Stuffing

Pack just two pairs of shoes, then fold your underwear/bras/tights into the shoes.

Step 5: Everything Else

For all your leftovers—PJ’s, swimming suit—roll and tuck them inside the top flap of your suitcase.

Step 6: Plane Attire            

Make sure to wear your heaviest clothes on the plane to avoid going over the weight limit. Keep in mind the weather where you’re traveling to when choosing the best traveling outfit for you.

With these easy packing tips, you can save your $25 for something more important… like Starbucks, or a mani/pedi. For more travel tips, check out these websites!

http://travelfashiongirl.com/top-7-carryon-luggage-packing-tips-for-women/

http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2013/04/uheart-organizing-travel-tips-that-pack.html

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!