Wellness > Mental Health

How “BookTok” Has Changed My Perspective on Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

“BookTok” has such an extensive collection of book recommendations, that you can’t help but expand your horizons

I have always been an avid reader ever since I discovered the Harry Potter books in first grade. That being said, the last thing I expected was my love for reading to continue on for my entire life. Though, when I discovered a community of people on an app that I frequented, it opened a whole new door for me. People recommending their favorite books and authors that I had never even heard of helped me discover my newfound favorites. If it weren’t for “BookTok”, I would have never discovered Colleen Hoover, Taylor Jenkins Reid or so many other authors that I enjoy reading. 

The struggle I have when reading is that I read too fast to be able to justify buying every book I want to read. I still love having physical books in hand, but in the summer, I read too much to rationalize buying all of them. Then, I discovered the Kindle Unlimited app through TikTok, which is a service that offers a multitude of books and helped me save an immense amount of money. I also came across so many videos of people thrifting for books, and I have been finding books that people recommended on “BookTok” for less than $3!

Through “BookTok”, my horizons have been expanded so thoroughly and I have found books that I never would have otherwise. For example, a series I have fallen in love with is A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas. I’m usually a strictly romance and mystery reader. I don’t usually steer towards fantasy books. But since being introduced to this fantasy novel genre, it has genuinely changed my life. I cannot put these books down: I’ve flown right through them. The first one in the series that I read took me only twelve hours to finish, the second one in the series took me just one day. . Unfortunately, I have had to slow down my reading with classes starting up. Although, I am grateful that I get to savor the books because I don’t want them to end.

I am honestly just so appreciative that I have had the opportunity to explore different areas of reading throughout this experience, while, in tandem, enriching my reading experience through interacting with others who are passionate about reading, too.

Kylie Carriveau

Wisconsin '25

UW Madison '25 Studying Psychology