Life > Experiences

How being a morning person doesn’t fit with the typical college lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The five a.m. wakeup call from my alarm is a sound I will forever both loathe and love.

I never imagined post-high school I would willingly be waking up before the sun, but it is now the time of day I enjoy most. I never want to pull myself out of my cozy bed, but when I eventually do, it’s always the best decision, even though it does not fit with the typical college lifestyle.

Waking up in the mornings and sliding on my light blue Ugg slippers to tiptoe quietly to the kitchen begins my favorite time of day. The lights are all off while I wander over to the refrigerator to start my day off right with some iced coffee.

I saunter over to the couch to begin some work, hoping the taps of my typing doesn’t wake up my roommates. After a while, I decide to leave the apartment and I’m met with the cool air of the Madison morning. Seeing the packed streets from the night before fade to empty shows how few and far between morning people are in college.

Mornings in Madison make the university and town feel so much smaller. Buildings, libraries and coffee shops where you usually struggle to find a seat have many options to choose from. I find myself being the most productive in the mornings when I’m not distracted, alone and able to concentrate in my own little world.

While I’ll always love the times I choose to sleep in, there will always be something about being awake before the world that I love even more. College has forced me to become more of a night person, but the morning will always be my favorite time of day.

Beth Shoop

Wisconsin '25

Hi, my name is Beth! I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but I am currently a Junior at UW Madison studying Journalism, specifically Reporting and Strategic Communication! I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences, interests, and newfound knowledge!