How To Ace an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Summer is supposed to be a time to be carefree and lay out in the sun tanning any worries away. It is supposed to be time for fun without stress – but, unfortunately, as we all know, once you’re in college it’s time to start cracking down on the jobs. College is also supposed to be a time to figure out what you want to do with your life. And the perfect way to do that is through internships – and the perfect time for that is, of course, the summer. Through many internships, I have found my love of journalism, but I am still struggling with the nerve-racking aspect of an interview. The fact that your whole summer rides on that little conversation just doesn’t sit well with me, as I’m sure many of you can relate to. So read ahead and learn how to perfect your interview skills.

Dress to Impress
One of the last things you want to do for an interview is not dress the part. No matter what, always overdress rather than underdress. And always keep it professional; don’t dress as if it’s a Thursday night at Johnny O’s. A bandage high-waisted skirt paired with a button down shirt is a great go-to. As far as shoes go, it depends on the place you are interviewing. A safe bet is to just put on a pair of cute flats and call it a day.

Know Your Information
Another terrible thing is to get there and know nothing about the place you are interviewing at. Read up on wherever it may be and know some key facts about the company. Almost every interviewer will ask you what you think about their company or if you know anything about it. You don’t want to stutter awkwardly without knowing anything, and you most definitely don’t want to just say no.

Prepare For Questions
Obviously since it’s an interview, you are going to be asked questions. It’s best to try and prepare for these in advance so you’re not shocked when you’re thrown one you weren’t expecting. Try and place yourself in the shoes of the interviewer and think what you would ask someone interviewing at that company. If you’re prepared, you can basically guarantee that you will be a success, and all your fears will go away (hopefully)!