Honoring a fellow Badger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

One of the things the Greek community takes pride in here on campus is our devotion to philanthropy. Each semester, sororities and fraternities across campus donate their time to both national and local charitable organizations. Every year, the ladies of Alpha Epsilon Phi host a unique event to remember a fellow sister.

Shana Kay was a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi’s pledge class of 2004 at University of Wisconsin. In the summer 2005, Shana contracted encephalitis, a rare inflammation of the brain caused by a virus. Unfortunately, Shana passed away on July 3, 2005 at the age of nineteen, but her legacy in Alpha Epsilon Phi lives on. Shana had just finished her freshmen year and was a communicative disorder major, aspiring to become a speech therapist.

Shana’s parents created the Shana Kay Memorial Foundation, in honor of their daughter, with two specific goals in mind: the Shana Kay Foundation strives to share Shana’s story and to provide scholarship to qualified and deserving students. Each year, the foundation gives out a scholarship in Shana’s name to a qualified student of Shana’s high school, Commack High School in Long Island, New York. This scholarship is given with the hope of being able to help this student continue their education. Shana’s parents also made a donation to the communicative disorders department here at University of Wisconsin, which gives out an annual Shana Kay Scholarship to a worthy communicative disorders student.

Just as the Shana Kay Memorial Foundation strives to keep Shana’s memory alive, the sisters of Alpha Epsilon Phi share the same goal. Annually, the sisters hold a special philanthropy event to honor Shana, who loved Alpha Epsilon Phi and University of Wisconsin dearly. This event, named “Shake it for Shana,” is hosted at one of Madison’s hot spot restaurants and invites members of the UW community to come together to celebrate Shana’s life. Shana was an energetic, bubbly and friendly person, so through a night of music, food and dancing, she is remembered. This year, “Shake it for Shana” will be held on Thursday, Nov. 3, 2011, at State Street Brats from 10 p.m. – 12:30 a.m. Tickets will be $5 each and all ticket proceeds, along with donations, will go directly to the Shana Kay Foundation. Tickets will be on sale by all members of Alpha Epsilon Phi.

Shana was a beautiful, young woman who loved iced coffee, Broadway Shows, People Magazine, the Badgers, AEPhi, and last but not least, her amazing family. Please join the sisters of Alpha Epsilon Phi as they pay tribute to a fellow sister that will forever be in their hearts.

References:
www.webmd.com
www.shanakay.org