H&M collaboration with Versace arrives Nov. 19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Designer and department store collaborations are everywhere, and low-budget fashionistas, like myself, are in fashion heaven. Last year, Lanvin treated H&M shoppers with high quality, trendy, yet still inexpensive clothes, and on Nov. 19, H&M will wow customers again. Versace for H&M is the latest partnership that has even celebrities buzzing.

The collection is limited, so Madison students should head to West Towne Mall next Saturday and buy all you can before it sells out. I previewed the collection and cannot wait to get my fingers on the gorgeous and art-worthy printed dresses. The new collection features a 40-piece women’s line and a 20-piece men’s line. Prices range from $17.95 for accessories to $300 for a leather vest. Most of the dresses are still pretty expensive; though, it is incomparable to the cost for a piece of Versace’s 2012 Spring Collection.

Donatella Versace told Vogue in October that the line is heavily influenced by archived designs of her late brother and captures the “essence of Versace.” This is not a line that simply plasters the name of a designer on it. Versace was involved in the whole process and told the Huffington Post she “can’t wait to see how H&M’s wide audience will make these pieces their own.”

There are rumors that the designer has created a pre-spring collection for H&M that would be available online in January, though nothing has been confirmed. Though the line is limited edition, consumers hope this won’t be another Target-Missoni situation. Last month when Target unveiled their new partnership with Missoni, many stores sold out by 9 a.m. This raised questions by the public wondering if it was a publicity stunt for Target by only having a very limited amount per store. Versace for H&M is getting a lot of buzz, but since Versace is hoping for a long-term partnership, it is unlikely H&M is scamming for success from the publicity.

Check out a preview of the line on H&M’s website.

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com