A Guide for a Freshman’s First Midterm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Calling all freshmen; midterm season is upon us. Unfortunately, your studying tactics in high school will no longer cut it at your university. Luckily, if you are reading this, you are already taking the right steps to ace your first midterm. Here is a guide to assist you in kicking your first exam’s butt.

1. Start studying a week prior to the exam

Gray Study Dice on Table
Pixabay
Yes, you read that right: one week! Do you think Rome was built in a day? No. That means you can’t study five weeks of class in one day either. If you have gone through five chapters in your textbook, study a chapter a night and then piece together all the information in the rest of the time you have. Studying a week prior to the exam gives you time to relearn all the material you missed while you were thinking about how hot the guy in front of you looks (admit it: we’ve all done it) and not be stressed out about it.

2. Attend office hours

a woman in business casual stands in front of a white board, writing with a marker in an office space
Christina Morillo | Pexels
If you have a question regarding any material, go see your professor (or t.a.). Email is fine, but let’s be real, your professor probably has hundreds of students and doesn’t have time to explain every little question you have in a timely manner. Plus, if you want to ask for your grade to be rounded up at the end of the semester, you probably should start building a good student-professor bond now.

3. Do NOT pull an all-nighter

Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
I do not know who started the myth that it is a necessity to pull an all-nighter before an exam, but they were wrong. Our brains retain more information after a good night of sleep. Skip the 11 p.m. coffee and hit the sheets instead.  

4. Make flashcards

Unsplash
Note: make actual flashcards (yes, on paper). Flashcards are great because you’re writing down the information when you first make them and then actively recalling things from class while flipping through them.  

5. Study alone and in groups

three women sitting on a couch with laptops
Photo by wocintechchat.com from Unsplash
Take time to yourself to figure out what you do and do not know for the exam. Often study groups become talking sessions. Once you know all that you can from your own resources, study with someone from class and see if they know key information you missed. Quiz one another and see if they have any unique studying techniques up their sleeves;  everyone studies differently.

6. Take practice exams

\"you got this\" on a letter board
Pexels
This one is a biggie. A lot of times, professors release old exams that contain similar content to the questions on the exam you will have to take. Go through practice exams after you have taken the time to study all of your notes and then see how you do. If you see a trend in the material you are getting wrong, go back to your notes and study those concepts.

Midterms sound a lot scarier than they are if you are not prepared. Take the time, put in the effort, and you’ll be sure to succeed! Happy studying!

I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.