This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

And you should too

This summer, I decided that I needed to read more after taking a pause spring semester. I read a few books and these were some of the best. They all made me think and kept me on the edge of my seat. Even though I am busy during the school year, I cannot wait to read more and so should you.

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid

Such a Fun Age is a short novel about a Black nanny’s experiences while working for a rich white family in Philadelphia. The book starts with Emira, a nanny, being called while at a party to watch entrepreneur and feminist Alix Chamberlain’s daughter while she and her husband deal with a smashed window in their home. Emira brings Briar, the child she watches, to a posh grocery store to waste time. While there, a white woman tells the security guard that she believes Emira is suspicious. The security guard holds her while she calls Briar’s father for help and an onlooker records for Emira’s “sake.” The book has many instances of assumptions and prejudices overlapping, creating an intricate storyline with sometimes frustrating twists and turns. Tensions between all increase throughout the book as Emira’s new boyfriend, Kelley Copeland, has a surprise connection to the Chamberlains. The book touches on many messy situations from different perspectives and shows interactions between clashing race and wealth differences. It may not have the neatest ending, but it is more realistic and great to read if you want to think about complex issues.

What the Eyes Don’t See by Mona Hanna-Attisha

Most people have heard of the flint water crisis, but many have never heard of the doctor who brought it to the public’s attention. What the Eyes Don’t See follows Dr. Mona Hanna-Attish through her struggle to expose the Flint water crisis to save the lives of her pediatric patients. She was alerted to the lead in Flint water by her friend, a former EPA engineer, at her child’s birthday party. The book illustrates the failures of local and federal governments in protecting citizens, and even covering up issues for political gain. There is no safe level of lead in children and their lives were being put in jeopardy every time they drank water or bathed. Dr. Mona knew this and advocated for her patients and spent long hours researching and begging government officials to listen to the data. She had to fight through them trying to discredit her expertise, saying she was fudging numbers when that is precisely what government agencies were doing. They prioritized saving money at the cost of lower income, mainly minority citizens. At the same time, she still had to work with her patients to mitigate the effects of lead poisoning, which could impact them for the rest of their lives. This story is inspiring because it shows how one person can make a difference if you do not give up and fight for what you know is right.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

Díaz creates a complex world starring a nerdy, Dominican American boy named Oscar who desperately wants to be the next great novelist and find a girlfriend. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao tells the story of Oscar who is constantly struggling to fit in with those around him. His family struggles with their conflicting identities of being Dominican and American, and they each take on these identities in different ways. There is a fascinating plot of flashbacks to his mother’s time in the Dominican Republic during dictator Trujillo’s regime. It shows the interconnectedness of generations of Oscar’s family. There are parallels between his mother’s harsh experience in the Dominican Republic and Oscar’s own hard life. Overall, the book is about chasing your dreams even if things do not work out.

Blood Like Fate by Liselle Sambury

Blood Like Fate is the second and final book in the Blood Like Magic series. The series is set in Toronto about 50 years into the future and surrounds the Black witch community. The main character, Voya, finished her challenging calling, a coming-of-age ceremony where a witch either gets her magic or loses it forever. In the process, she alienated the boy she loves, who is the adopted son of a man who was experimenting with witch magic. She also drastically changed her cousin Keis’ life forever. Now, she must navigate being her family’s new matriarch and leader while trying to save the Black witch community from a mysterious illness that is messing with their magic. Her ex-boyfriend (who now hates her) might be at the center of the community’s problems and the reappearance of a runaway witch. The characters have to grow and adapt to this changing world where they are put into increasingly uncomfortable situations. New information is constantly shifting and changing as Voya deciphers between her friends and enemies. This is a great finale to the Blood Like Magic series and keeps readers on their toes.

I recommend that everyone tries to read these books or find new books that interest them. It is such a fun activity and can introduce you to many new things and ideas. I hope you can find enjoyment in one of these books like I did and explore new worlds with these amazing authors.

Kathryn Sobota

Wisconsin '23

UW-Madison '23