Giving Thanks for 8 Lessons I’ve Learned in My First College Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Well, the time has finally come! I’m officially (almost) finished with my first semester of college! I know I’m not alone when I say I’m relieved, stressed and tired all at the same time. Despite this slightly imbalanced mix of emotions, I can safely say that I’ve learned more than I expected to in the past few months and I’m really happy about it. Given the time of year, I think it’s fitting to come up with a list of things I’ve learned that I’m extremely thankful for learning here at UW-Madison. ‘Tis the season!

College is superior to high school

Now I know what you’re thinking, “ugh, this blanket, cliché statement is extremely overused and just doesn’t seem like it’s accurate,” but I promise you, it couldn’t be more true. The transition between high school and college is extremely frightening, but in the end, it is so rewarding. In college, you are able to follow your exact path to your goals instead of a controlled, mandated path. The feeling of freedom that comes with choosing your classes, finding your own place to live and overall being independent in a new place is a refreshing, exciting experience. I’m extremely thankful for the opportunity to attend such a highly-praised university.

Making friends in college is easier than you’d think

One of my main concerns when moving to college, besides the overall adjustment and life change occurring, was making new friends. Branching off from your group of high school friends into a new environment full of strangers seems tough, but in reality, friends are easier to come across than you’d expect. Everyone is in the same boat in terms of friendship and looking for new friends, so finding someone out there to talk to and relate with is much easier since they’re most likely looking for the exact same thing. I’m thankful for the large number of friends that I’ve made in such a short amount of time and love them all dearly.

There is a student organization for everything

Falling into the same realm of making new friends, it may seem like you will have no way to express yourself and enjoy the things you love to participate in outside of class. In reality, there’s bound to be at least one student organization on campus for you to join. UW-Madison has over 900 organizations from performance groups to intramural sports teams to cheese and dairy fan clubs. Taking the time to look around and attend the beginning of the year Student Org Fair will help you feel more welcomed and will also lead you to make an automatic group of friends within the organization(s) you join! I personally am thankful for Wisconsin Singers and Her Campus, two student organizations that I love being a part of more than anything else.

UW-Madison’s campus feels smaller than expected

Despite the whopping number of students attending UW-Madison -roughly 40,000- the campus seems much smaller when you’re a part of that number versus when you’re touring or looking to attend. When I walked around campus as a senior in college that I thought I would never be able to figure out my way around. Now, only a few months later, I feel much more confident in where I’m going and actually only have classes in a few of the university buildings. Joining student organizations and becoming involved also helps you become more familiar with the people around you, ultimately making you feel more comfortable and less of a “number.” I am thankful for my shift in perspective upon arriving at and wandering around UW-Madison’s campus.

I’m a faster walker than I thought I was

Speaking of the size of the university, there are times when I have 15 minutes between two classes that are a 20-minute walk away. This may seem impossible, but you’d be impressed by how far you can go in such a short amount of time. Not only does this help me feel a bit better about not having much time to exercise -I mean, I’m basically sprinting to some of my classes anyways- but it also helps you figure out shortcuts around campus, ultimately making you feel even more comfortable with the layout. I am very, very thankful for my short little legs that somehow always get me to where I need to be on time.

Professors are much less strict than they’re made out to be

There are many, many inaccurate depictions of professors and TAs in college, making them out to be awful, inhuman beings. In my first semester, I have met some of the sweetest and most genuine teachers and professors in my life. Although there may be some professors out there that fit the negative portrayals in movies and books, I’ve had so many positive experiences with my own professors so far. They are all extremely understanding and treat their students as actual humans and peers rather than unintelligent children. I’m very thankful for my amazing professors and TAs this semester and wouldn’t have made it through without them!

I have a built-in support system everywhere I go

This point goes hand-in-hand with being involved in student organizations and forming friends. No matter where I end up, I know that there will at least be one person that I’m familiar with that will root for me at all costs. My ladies at Her Campus, my Wisconsin Singers family away from home and my close classmates will always be here to support and love me. Forming these strong connections allows for important, personal conversations and relationships to be formed and these relationships are what have helped me work through my first semester. I am so thankful for all of the connections I’ve made and the endless support that comes from them.

I am right where I belong

Feeling like you fit in is something I’ve honestly struggled with my entire school career thus far. I was hesitant to attend UW-Madison and didn’t believe I was going down the right path for overall happiness and success in the future. Reflecting on these feelings I had during the summer leading up to this school year and comparing them to how I feel now is extremely eye-opening. I realize now that I am exactly where I am meant to be and I know I belong on this campus, in the student organizations I’m in and with the people that are in my life. I am thankful for this university for making me feel confident in myself and for allowing me to finally fit into the bigger picture.

Overall, I’ve learned much more than the 8 lessons listed in this article and still have much more to learn seeing as I’m only an eighth of the way through my long journey here at UW-Madison. It’s always a great idea to take a moment to stop and think about how far you’ve come and where you will go as you continue on in the journey of life. I’m extremely satisfied and proud of where I am and will never stop being thankful for the events, friends, family and leaders that have helped me get to where I am today.

Hello! I'm Katarina Wickman, undergraduate student in the class of 2023 at UW-Madison. 2019 will mark my first year as a member of HER Campus! I plan on majoring in Journalism with a potential certificate in Gender & Women Studies. If you would like to get in touch with me for any reason, feel free to contact me via social media!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.