This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The more I read, the more I have to recommend. Here are four more books you’ve gotta pick up!

2023 was filled to the brim with good reads and novels that will have a lasting impact on me. Seriously, my reading cup was overflowing and I couldn’t get enough. So, out of all the amazing books 2023 gave me, here are the five I believe you all should go read. 

1. The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green 

The Anthropocene Reviewed is a collection of short essays that dissect all things human. Green defines the anthropocene as, “the current geologic age, in which humans have profoundly reshaped the planet and its biodiversity.” While this seems like it would be scientific and boring, it is so incredibly far from it. Green looks at human life, and this world we have created, through a lens of empathy, understanding and curiosity. It is a book about Dr. Pepper and Geese. It is also a book about heartbreak and healing and all the scary stuff that comes in between. You will close this book with a deep love for the people around you and a new ability to spot the small things. 

2. My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante 

There is a special place in my heart for books that examine female friendships in a real, hard way. My Brilliant Friend does just that, while also offering some of the most beautiful prose I have ever read. This novel follows two young girls as they grow up in Naples, Italy in the 1950s. Ferrante digs deep into what it means to be a young girl in a place that does not respect you and how one navigates these hardships. She also shows how painful female friendships can be, especially during our adolescent years. No matter what experiences you come in with, you leave this book feeling seen. 

3. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert 

Eat, Pray, Love is a memoir by Gilbert that follows her as she journeys through Italy, India and Indonesia. After heartbreak stretches her too thin, Gilbert embarks on a quest to figure out both herself and life. Each place she finds herself offers her something new, something she will take with her. Eat, Pray, Love is a life story that leaves readers inspired to find themselves. 

4. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro 

Ishiguro’s science-fiction novel follows three young students who live at a mysterious, elite boarding school. As the students grow up, they begin to uncover their true purpose in society and what they were made for. As most science-fiction novels do, Never Let Me Go comments and critiques the human world and our current decisions by creating a terrifying reality. 

Not all books sit well with all people. That’s the fun! We all have our dislikes and preferences, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. However, I do believe that if given the chance, these books will be thought about for years to come. 

Mckenna Laurent

Wisconsin '25

Mckenna is a Junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is studying English literature. Along with being a section editor for Her Campus, she is a Senior Coordinator for the University Tutoring Service. Mckenna loves reading, baking, and watching New Girl!