This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Because ‘tis the season

At the time of writing this, I am flying down the highway on a bus headed home for Thanksgiving break. Both the lengthy five hour drive and the fact that my AirPods have died have forced me to spend plenty of time sitting with my thoughts.

I’ve been thinking about nostalgia. Partly because I’m a sentimental person, but mostly because this time of year always seems to carry waves of childhood memories. 

The holiday season marks the return of college students to their hometowns, the houses where countless Thanksgivings and Christmases were celebrated, surrounded by old friends and family. It almost feels like another world when we’re away at school, and coming back makes us confront the past. Time doesn’t stay frozen at home while we’re away. Things change; all of a sudden, my little sister appears on FaceTime in “borrowed” clothes from my closet, and my brother starts driving himself to school instead of our usual morning carpool. Siblings grow up even if we’re not there to witness it.

It’s a bittersweet feeling, isn’t it? 

Many people find it sad to revisit their childhood memories, but I don’t think it has to be just sad. There can be a lot of magic in childhood nostalgia, reflecting can be entertaining, and can even help you find some peace when you’re feeling overwhelmed. 

So, here are some of my favorite things to do when I want to feel like a ten year old again.

Reading old diary entries

When I was about 7 or 8, I convinced myself that I would write in a diary every day for the rest of my life. So I made my mom take me to Justice, and I picked out a turquoise journal with an overly sequined “A” stitched to the cover. And although I wasn’t quite as consistent as I declared to be, I still ended up with plenty of old entries to look back at. Reading these silly little words I wrote as a kid never fails to make me laugh. I also highly recommend annotating the margins with your current reactions!

Old Games

Okay, I’ll be honest. One of the main reasons I’m writing this article is because I noticed a girl in one of my lectures playing Papa’s Freezeria and the sight of that game unlocked SO many memories for me. But anyway, revisiting any activity you enjoyed as a kid is unbelievably fun- This could also include rewatching or rereading old tv or book series you grew up on! 

I have such fond memories playing Club Penguin and Moshi Monsters on the computer with my little brother. So whether it be Webkinz, Poptropica, or whatever you used to play, hop on that site for the memories! (That is, if they are still around…I don’t know if they even are haha.) 

Playlist Making

Have you ever heard a song playing in public and were immediately transported to a specific time in your life? This is because when we listen to music, we subconsciously associate it with our current mood and time period when we first heard it, or listened to it frequently. Therefore, re-listening to old favorite tunes can have the power to bring back those feelings. So, go have fun making some playlists with all the songs you grew up listening to! 

Holidays

Specifically for the end of fall and winter holidays when we’re home: do the holiday activities you loved as a kid! For instance, just how music and sounds have a strong connection with memory, so do smell and taste! Maybe bake some homemade Christmas treats from your childhood. 

Yearbooks and photo albums

This one is always a wild ride. Go to your bookshelf and flip through some old yearbooks from your past schools. Especially if you went to a smaller school, and have known your classmates for many years, it will be entertaining to see the pictures of everyone so little! Family photo albums are also great to look through, especially if you include a parent or two in the activity. The old pictures could spark some memories, and you might get to hear some interesting stories about you or your siblings when you were younger!

Call up a childhood friend!

If you’re as lucky as me, you might still have a few great friends all the way back from elementary or middle school. I always end up having the time of my life when I get to catch up with these people. (Bonus points if you pull out some old yearbooks to look at together! This always leads the way for some hilarious stories.)

Sharing with my Younger Sibling

Now this is my absolute favorite tip. 

My sister is 7 years younger than me, so she didn’t grow up with all the same things that my brother and I did. Over the past years, it has made me so so happy to be able to teach and introduce to her all the various shows, books, and artists I have loved since I was her age. I think watching someone’s reactions as they go through your favorite series for the first time is priceless. It’s almost like getting to relive the same feelings you had when you read those books or watched the show for the first time.

So when you go back to your hometown for the holidays, keep in mind these little tips, and remember to make peace with nostalgia. Have fun reminiscing, but also enjoy the current memories you’re making. Because some day, your future self will feel nostalgic for your present!

Anna Bitonti

Wisconsin '26

Hi, I'm Anna! I'm a sophomore at UW-Madison studying Graphic Design and English. I’m from the Twin Cities area, but originally grew up in South Jersey. I've always loved to create, whether that be drawing, painting, writing stories, or taking photos. In my free time I love exploring new places, reading, and organizing my entire life on Pinterest :)