Five ways to take on mid-term week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

With midterms quickly approaching, you may be feeling slightly overwhelmed with the amount of work that lies ahead. Don’t freak out just yet! Here are five strategies to avoid those dreadful all-nighters:

1. Get off of Facebook!
Yes, I know it’s difficult to resist refreshing your News Feed every couple of minutes in the hopes of finding something new, but you’ll survive. You need to be focused while studying, and Facebook definitely does not allow you to do this. Too hard to resist? Don’t fret! Try out an application called SelfControl. It allows Mac users to block certain addictive websites for self-allotted time periods.

2. Sleep.
As college students, we need at least seven to eight hours of sleep everyday. Research shows that inadequate sleep can lead to decreased alertness and memory and cognitive impairment. So skip that late-night rerun of Jersey Shore and get some sleep instead.

3. Eat Breakfast.
Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism and prepares you for the rest of your day. Try something with loads of protein and whole grains. My personal favorite is an omelet with whole grain toast.

4. Plan.
Make sure you know what’s in store for you. Schedule your time wisely and start studying far in advance. Rather than relying on Red Bull the night before an exam, study a little material every day for a week. It will pay off in the long run.

5. Take Breaks. 
You don’t want to burn out. Studying for eight hours straight is just too much. Go for a run, go out to eat, meet up with friends – do something that makes your day more enjoyable! Once you’re in a good mood, you’ll be a more competent studier.