Life > Experiences

Five Tips for Planning the Perfect Girls Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

For when it’s time to get away

One of my favorite events of the year is hosting my annual girls weekend trip. It is a couple of days guaranteed to bring relaxation and fun for everyone involved. With that in mind, it can feel overwhelming to figure out how to start such a wonderful tradition, especially if you are like me and decide to invite at least a dozen friends. No matter how much we would like to ignore it, a getaway of this magnitude does require some planning. Nevertheless, you have no reason to worry because I am here to help you with planning the best girls weekend possible. I have compiled a list of the five most beneficial tips I have learned over the years. 

Always start by picking a date

It is impossible to have a girls weekend without choosing a weekend for it to occur on. Also, it does not have to be over a weekend, although I have found that this tends to be the time when people are most available. I would also suggest trying to pick a date at least a month in advance if possible. This may sound over the top, but the more people you invite, the more difficult it will be to find a time that works for everyone. By planning the date earlier, people can put it in their calendars much farther in advance. However, I am not trying to step on those who like to go with the flow – so feel free to make your girls weekend a spur of the moment thing too! 

Location can make or break the weekend

Finding a great location to host your weekend is one of the most important steps when it comes to planning the perfect girls weekend. When choosing a place, there are a few important aspects to consider. First, finding a place that will be able to comfortably fit all your guests is important, because you cannot have a carefree weekend if everyone is packed on top of each other. Another thing to think about is the degree of privacy you want for the weekend. I prefer to go camping or stay in a cabin, because these are both comfortable and isolated. In locations such as these, you can feel free to be as loud and crazy as you want without disturbing anyone else. 

Snacks Snacks Snacks

I know everyone is not as obsessed with food as I am, but having ample snacks is an essential. It is important to provide a mix of healthy foods, such as fruits and veggies, as well as good old junk food. Make sure to bring tons and tons of food because it will go faster than you think. Having meals planned out can also be helpful. One of my personal favorites is a salad potluck. This has been a hit among my friends and provides enough for two or three meals. Also, don’t forget the second most important thing: drinks!

Games can be a great way to increase excitement

If there is a lull in the mood or everyone is looking for a fun activity, having a few games planned can also be helpful. They do not have to be complicated or overly complex, just something fun to encourage competition. Some of my personal favorites are obviously cup pong and flippy cup. These are also great because they can be played with or without alcohol, given your preference. 

Less is always more

When in doubt, just take your hands off the wheel and relax. It can feel like the weekend has to be packed full of activities and things to do, but this is not the case. Trying to plan a ton of things can feel forced and increase tensions between everyone. Most people just want a calm weekend, and sitting by the beach, bonfire, etc. can be more than enough to make the perfect weekend.

While all these tips can potentially help you improve your girls weekend, just do the things that feel most natural to you. No matter what, a getaway trip with the girls is always going to be rejuvenating and refreshing. Plus, the secret to the perfect girls weekend truly lies in the people you pick to invite. Spending time with the people closest to you is all you really need.

Kendall Callery

Wisconsin '26

Kendall is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a Managing Editor for UW's Her Campus chapter. Writing is a way for her to share her bold takes and unique personality. Not only is she a perfectionist at heart but she is also a coffee, baked goods, and horror movies addict.