This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I thought homesickness was a scary plague reserved for freshman

The initial 10-hour drive to college my freshman year all I could think about was if I would feel homesick. I had never spent more than a few weeks away from home, but when I landed on campus and was immersed into a new world with limitless activities and excitement, there was no time to even think about home! Before I could even blink, I was home for Thanksgiving and Christmas break. 

After going home for the post-freshman year summer all I could think about was getting back to school. I yearned to get back to the high-energy, always-something-to-do environment of Madison, the perfect college town. Sophomore year flew by just like the year prior, and I stayed the summer working and taking classes in Madison (something everyone NEEDS to do btw!) 

Now, three years deep into the college grind, I have a routine and more time to think. More time to think means more time to think about home, which means, my first experiences truly feeling homesick.   

Homesickness is a strange illness. It’ll strike at the most random times and the weirdest things will trigger it. For me, the recent spurts of rain combined with the stunning fallen red, orange and yellow leaves reminds me of the most perfect Pittsburgh fall. It makes me miss wandering my small town, smelling the fall goodies my mom bakes in our kitchen, and cozying up in the greatest bed ever in my childhood bedroom. 

The hardest part about homesickness is missing the people I used to spend every day with. I wish I could pick up all my favorite people and places and bring them with me wherever I go. I love Madison and I love college more than anything, but I love my family and miss my hometown. 

I have found myself trying to emulate parts of home in Madison to cure my homesickness. Baking some of the treats I miss, burning the same candles scattered around my house and making frequent calls home as though I’m just walking into the kitchen to chat with my family. 

There might be one good thing about homesickness, it makes breaks back home feel that much more special. I appreciate the easygoing vibe of home more than ever and cherish my nights-in, sitting on the couch with my parents and brother with the dogs cuddled on their bed in the living room. 

The homesick feeling comes and goes and I’m learning how to navigate it more and more. It’s never easy, but it makes me realize how lucky I am to have such special people and wonderful memories at home. I never expected to become homesick this far into college, but in a way I am glad. It has made me slow down and really recognize the things that are important to me. I love Madison and I love Pittsburgh and somehow, someday, I’ll find a way to combine the two. 

Beth Shoop

Wisconsin '25

Hi, my name is Beth! I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but I am currently a Junior at UW Madison studying Journalism, specifically Reporting and Strategic Communication! I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences, interests, and newfound knowledge!