Falling Forward with Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Have you ever watched a really, really old video cassette version of General Hospital or Days of Our Lives? And perhaps, because it is your favorite soap opera, you chose to look past the extreme delay between their lips moving and what you actually hear. Accepting your denial that those days of your lives are officially over (pun intended), is the first step in accepting the fact that it’s time to move on. For some reason, this seems to be a concept that Midwesterners struggle with accepting. No, I’m not just talking about soap opera seasons, but about fashion seasons. While many Midwestern ladies proudly strut last year’s wedge sneakers, studded collars, dark 90’s lipstick and (yawn) peplum, it’s time to toss those styles with your cabinet full of videos and fall forward into this year’s fall fashion.

Perhaps the most difficult decision when choosing the correct fall fashion, is deciding what colors are in– and more importantly, what colors will go with your skin type, your style, and your surroundings. This year, bright pinks, yellows, oranges, and bright greens are in, despite society’s correlation with the dimming of colors as the leaves outside their windows find themselves darkening too.

Oscar de la Renta chose bubblegum pink as this year’s color and paired it with the new revival of 60’s wear. If you don’t feel comfortable completely transitioning from your dark fall colors, Jason Wu suggests pairing an emerald belt with your favorite riding boots and an outfit with a neutral color pallet. 

While these bright colors are fun for fall, don’t feel bad if you look forward to your typically dark fall color pallet—you’re not alone! According to the Huffington Post, keep your blacks and dark purples. Purple can actually come across as a fearless color! The Post also predicts purple eyeliner/eye shadow to make an appearance into our fall makeup selection. Personally, I am in favor of also taking a note from Princess Kate, and falling in love with royal blue this fall. It is the perfect pop of color for your normally dark fall wardrobe.

Once you have your colors down, it is essential to have the right style paired with them! Whether you have plans for adventures in a pumpkin patch, raking leaves, a date with a caramel apple (and a cute boy) or just studying, there is an easy fall style for every occasion. While it is always okay to channel your inner Blair Waldorf, this fall it is nearly essential because capes are in. Toss out your fluffy North Face ladies, and splurge on a cape. While my time in this article is too short to fully cover the art of capes as coats, make sure to follow this link for a blog post that will cover this trend and the stores they can be found at. Next, pair your cape with lace—especially dark lace. Perhaps a dark purple lace shirt with the growing trend of a pleated skirt could be your perfect day-date outfit. Going out? Throw on a pair of black tights, some heeled booties and perhaps an emerald clutch to make your mark on the party scene.

Let’s be honest, it is difficult to move on from a TV addiction… especially a soap opera. But perhaps not all your video cassettes need to be thrown out—I mean hey, videos can now become DVD’s. Recycling some of last year’s colors and styles isn’t necessarily a no-no, as long as it is tastefully paired with a Paris or Milan fashion week suggestion. And there’s certainly nothing wrong with a smooth transition from General Hospital to Revenge.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin! 
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com